Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,998   Posts: 1,524,310   Online: 854

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adorama Paper

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Adorama Paper

Anybody know who manufactures paper for Adorama?

Just did some spec checking between freestyle and adorama and the listed specs for the adorama product matches the freeestyle kentmere specs exactly
    Last edited by ronlamarsh; 08-28-2012 at 12:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know much about this paper, but I hear from others that the matte paper behaves differently from the glossy, and Kentmere does not make matte paper emulsions, so it's possible that glossy is Kentmere, but the matte has to be something else.

With only a few factories left making paper; Ilford, Foma, Slavich, ADOX, Fuji, and I'm sure I'm missing one or two - as far as I know only Ilford and Foma make a matte paper, and Fotokemika Varycon (which has been discontinued) has a semimatte surface, not flat matte like Foma or Ilford... . Ilford does not sell their own Ilford branded product as OEM product to others, so it basically leaves out everybody but Foma. I say the matte paper has to be Foma Fomabrom Variant 112, leaving the glossy more difficult to figure out.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

could be so

Just read some more descriptions on the adorama site it would appear from their specifications that the Glossy RC product is Kentmere compare the 2 statements below:
    Adorama VGRC is a high speed, variable contrast, black and white enlarging paper with a medium weight, polyethylene coated base. The paper base is 190 g/m2 coated on both sides with 40 g/m2 of polyethylene giving a base weight of approximately 270 g/m2 and a thickness of approximately 245 microns. The silver halide emulsion has a silver content of approximately 1.5 g/m2.

From the freeswtyle Kentmere specs:The paper is 190 g/m² coated on both sides with 40 g/m² of polyethylene giving a base weight of approximately 270 g/m² and a thickness of approximately 245 μm.
    Coated emulsion layer
    The light-sensitive silver halide emulsion layer has a silver content of approximately 1.5 g/m². This is covered with a gelatine supercoat which protects the emulsion from stress fogging and physical damage and also contains a developing agent.

I also checked out the adorama FB VC product and its description matches the edu ultra/foma paper i.e. they are the only paper descriptions I have ever seen calling themselves ISO 9001 certified the rest of the descriptions pretty well track also.

So this seems to be the reason that folks on other threads notice speed differences between different adorama papers i.e. FB and RC
    No escaping it!
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We KNOW it's not Ilford.

If you wait long enough, one of the Adorama rep, Helen will show up and will tell you, because of confidentiality agreement with the manufacturer, she won't be able to say who made the paper. Simon Galley (of Ilford) has said Ilford does not make any paper for house brand, so we know it's not Ilford.

The box says it's made in EU country.

I tried RC Pearl, FB matte and FB glossy. It's entirely possible FB Matte is made by someone else. It behaves very differently from the rest.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    We KNOW it's not Ilford.

If you wait long enough, one of the Adorama rep, Helen will show up and will tell you, because of confidentiality agreement with the manufacturer, she won't be able to say who made the paper. Simon Galley (of Ilford) has said Ilford does not make any paper for house brand, so we know it's not Ilford.

The box says it's made in EU country.

I tried RC Pearl, FB matte and FB glossy. It's entirely possible FB Matte is made by someone else. It behaves very differently from the rest.
    I'm not sure that you can definitively say it is not being manufactured by Ilford.

I think that Simon has said that they will not supply their own Ilford product to be labelled as someone else's house brand. I do believe, however, that Ilford do manufacture other products to the specifications of other parties.

As I understand it, Ilford's facilities and people are available for hire.

And they are in the EU.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    We KNOW it's not Ilford.

If you wait long enough, one of the Adorama rep, Helen will show up and will tell you, because of confidentiality agreement with the manufacturer, she won't be able to say who made the paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    A-ha. Now we know EXACTLY who made it...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't know if Ilford makes a third party product and sell them under completely different brand names. I do recall Simon saying this isn't the case. I really doubt it is worth anyone's trouble to make a special blend just so they can produce third party papers.

Adorama paper looks and behaves so differently from any of commonly available Ilford papers. I just use them because I like how it looks and behaves. (and it's inexpensive) In particular, FB Matte is great. Tones well and the surface is more like semi-matte than matte. I'm curious who makes it but I don't think anyone who really know will be talking....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Love the fiber matte paper. TK started a thread here that has a lot of great information about Adorama papers.

My work was just accepted into the Atlanta Celebrates Photography portfolio review (only 50 photographers total from across the country, back pat) and I'm going to (re)print much of it on the Adorama fiber matte. Did I mention how much I like this paper?
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    Love the fiber matte paper. TK started a thread here that has a lot of great information about Adorama papers.

My work was just accepted into the Atlanta Celebrates Photography portfolio review (only 50 photographers total from across the country, back pat) and I'm going to (re)print much of it on the Adorama fiber matte. Did I mention how much I like this paper?
    In as much as the adorama FB paper seems to be FOMA(based on technical descriptions i.e. FOMA, freestyle edu ultra, and adorama all use the almost exact same technical description for their papers) I am not surprised as I normaly use FOMA/Arista EDu Ultra for all my printing the tonal scale is supberb and it tones well.
    No escaping it!
    to take this path

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin