Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,676   Online: 1146

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I can get by without Kodak film with the possible exception of CN400. I get lovely prints from this on RA4 paper with a minimum of filtration needed. Lovely warm dense blacks and clear high lights. With the Ilford version I have never had the same success.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    I read " It will also continue to run its Consumer Inkjet division as one of its last public-facing businesses."

And I yelled out "why the fu*k will you do that?"

Because if they manage to finally once for all do that right, they may be able to build up a new major commodity business. And if, and I do say IF, they become strong enough on doing that also claim a position in the ballpark of Epson and Canon, and maybe one step above, focusing on Photographic printing only...

Though I doubt they will manage to do this....
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they keep making aero and industrial films for awhile, that's better than no film. If medical X-ray film is part of their industrial film division, it will be around for at least a while longer. I've been shooting Kodak green X-ray film in 8X10, and it serves my needs. Some people cut down the aero film and shoot that. I may try it if I can get a partial roll.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Not so long ago it was Ilford that was in trouble and Rodinal that we were mourning the loss of. I hope the consumer film division of Kodak is bought by someone who knows how to run it. In the meantime I will continue to shoot Tri-X whilst hoping for the best. I may also try HP5 + ( just in case ) so I know what to expect from it as it looks like Ilford may indeed be the last man standing in the long term.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
    If they keep making aero and industrial films for awhile, that's better than no film. If medical X-ray film is part of their industrial film division, it will be around for at least a while longer. I've been shooting Kodak green X-ray film in 8X10, and it serves my needs. Some people cut down the aero film and shoot that. I may try it if I can get a partial roll.

The Kodak Xray film wouldn't be included in any sale because it's not made by Kodak. It's made by Carestream Health, which is an independent subsidiary of Onex Corporation. Kodak sold it's health care business to Carestream in 2007.

There is a great deal more speculation and commentary, and information pertinent to some of the musings in this thread, to be enjoyed in this other huge thread:

It's offcial, Kodak is selling it's film business.

Be sure to read the few posts by cdkrenzer in that thread. She is a Kodak PR person.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

SHOULD I STOCKPILE KODAK FILM NOW?

I was about to order one or two thousand dollars worth of TMX 4 X 5 sheet film when I got some new info:

Kodak has a long standing policy of announcing product discontinuances 180 days, or 3 months in advance, I was told by an insider. Kodak makes these announcements to dealers on the 26th of each month. I was advised to check with my supplier of choice on the first of the month for these notifications. (Vendors such as Freestyle and B&H Photo.) www.kodak.com is another source.

My conclusion: when a 3 month notice appears, THEN I'll stock up. The key point is that the plug will NOT be pulled without notice.

If this is true, and I believe it, it's OK to wait. This is very important for color film users since that material has a much shorter shelf life, even when refrigerated. Hope this helps.

Let's hope that a buyer shows up and continues film production. If not, Kodak at some point will announce that in 3 months all film production will end. This might be if movie film production ceases in 3 years, a possibility mentioned by others, and there's no buyer for still film production. That will be a dark day. Meanwhile, I'm going to store a few hundred sheets of 4 X 5 TMX in the freezer just for psychological security.

Todd F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know that you can count on past behavior as an indicator when a company is in bankruptcy. Even so, I'm not stocking up on my favorites yet, and I'm not suggesting whether you should or not.

BTW, 180 days is closer to 6 months. 3 months is approximately 90 days.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Foster View Post
    My conclusion: when a 3 month notice appears, THEN I'll stock up. The key point is that the plug will NOT be pulled without notice.
    More information to be found here:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1383994

And here's the full press release
    http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...sful-Emergence
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Foster View Post
    I was about to order one or two thousand dollars worth of TMX 4 X 5 sheet film when I got some new info:

Kodak has a long standing policy of announcing product discontinuances 180 days, or 3 months in advance, I was told by an insider. Kodak makes these announcements to dealers on the 26th of each month. I was advised to check with my supplier of choice on the first of the month for these notifications. (Vendors such as Freestyle and B&H Photo.) www.kodak.com is another source.

If this is true, and I believe it, it's OK to wait. This is very important for color film users since that material has a much shorter shelf life, even when refrigerated. Hope this helps.

Let's hope that a buyer shows up and continues film production. If not, Kodak at some point will announce that in 3 months all film production will end. This might be if movie film production ceases in 3 years, a possibility mentioned by others, and there's no buyer for still film production. That will be a dark day. Meanwhile, I'm going to store a few hundred sheets of 4 X 5 TMX in the freezer just for psychological security.

Todd F.
    Who told you this? The very opposite is true. They keep the consumer in the dark. This has been shown to be the case with every discontinuance in the past ten years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    The Kodak Xray film wouldn't be included in any sale because it's not made by Kodak. It's made by Carestream Health, which is an independent subsidiary of Onex Corporation. Kodak sold it's health care business to Carestream in 2007.

There is a great deal more speculation and commentary, and information pertinent to some of the musings in this thread, to be enjoyed in this other huge thread:

It's offcial, Kodak is selling it's film business.

Be sure to read the few posts by cdkrenzer in that thread. She is a Kodak PR person.
    I was aware that Kodak sold its X-ray film division to Carestream, but I was under the impression that the film was coated on Kodak machinery operated by Kodak employees, and then turned over to Carestream. Does anyone have any info on this? My box of Kodak X-ray film is marked 'Made in USA' and 'Finished in Mexico'.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin