Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,088   Online: 922

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Who told you this? The very opposite is true. They keep the consumer in the dark. This has been shown to be the case with every discontinuance in the past ten years.
    No, generally Kodak announces in advance that they're discontinuing the film. Not before they stopped coating it; that may have been months (or in the case of Tech Pan, years) before. They do announce it approximately three months before the stock would run out at current consumption rates. That's a lot better than Fuji, where oftentimes the only discontinuation notice is when all of the suppliers say they can't order the product anymore. For example, try and find an official discontinuation notice for E100G on the Kodak website. Now try and find one for Neopan 400 120 on the Fuji Japan website. If you're really up for the challenge, try and find the E100G notice on Kodak Japan, and Neopan's on Fuji US.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
    I was aware that Kodak sold its X-ray film division to Carestream, but I was under the impression that the film was coated on Kodak machinery operated by Kodak employees, and then turned over to Carestream. Does anyone have any info on this? My box of Kodak X-ray film is marked 'Made in USA' and 'Finished in Mexico'.
    Carestream coats it. Since Onyx acquired the Kodak employees and the Kodak 72" wide coating facility in Colorado, the xray film is probably still coated by the same former Kodak employees on the same equipment they used when Kodak owned it. Actually, Kodak leases the coater in Colorado from Carestream to coat wide rolls of RA4 paper. See this post by PE.

Also, back in 2008, Carestream had a coating facility in Oregon. I don't know if that still exists or it was also acquired from Kodak, but it is mentioned in this article: Carestream Preserves Former Kodak Jobs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Al this thrashing about is needless. Remember a few years ago when Kodak sold the chemicals part of the business....do you see any shortage of Kodak Chemistry today? no.

Remember when Ilford was on the ropes a couple of years ago? and everybody was freaking out that they were going to vanish? What happened? We have plenty of high quality Ilford film and paper....and now, Kentmere too!

Same thing for Agfa...well, now Adox and a much smaller operations but, we still benefit from the business being run by executives who care about traditional, film based photography.

In all these cases, they sold the business and now, whoever is running it is doing well and we all are the benefactors.

I say, the sooner that Kodak sell the film business, the better! Finally, somebody who care about film and film users will be running the film production business. I am anxious for them to get on with it already.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    same here, and I hope it works out that way

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Al this thrashing about is needless. Remember a few years ago when Kodak sold the chemicals part of the business....do you see any shortage of Kodak Chemistry today? no.

Remember when Ilford was on the ropes a couple of years ago? and everybody was freaking out that they were going to vanish? What happened? We have plenty of high quality Ilford film and paper....and now, Kentmere too!

Same thing for Agfa...well, now Adox and a much smaller operations but, we still benefit from the business being run by executives who care about traditional, film based photography.

In all these cases, they sold the business and now, whoever is running it is doing well and we all are the benefactors.

I say, the sooner that Kodak sell the film business, the better! Finally, somebody who care about film and film users will be running the film production business. I am anxious for them to get on with it already.
    That is the best we can hope for. Tri-X is the best selling Black and White film in the world and it and the Tmax emulsions are well worth saving.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

SHOULD I STOCKPILE KODAK FILM NOW?

Thanks for correcting me. The correct info is that Kodak policy is to announce 6 months or 180 days in advance. This info is from an ex Kodak manager who knows the policies and believes them to still be in full force. I should have said "6 month notice from Kodak," NOT "3 month notice."

MY conclusion is to CHECK for notices of discontinuance every 3 months, near the beginning of the month, to make sure to have a chance to get some remaining product for my freezer. Sorry for the typo/garbled line.

Note that these are NOT mass media notifications. They are notifications sent to dealers which I was told will also appear on the kodak.com web site. Discontinuing all film production would surely be on the TV networks nightly news. Discontinuing one particular film almost certainly would not be. I don't want to be blindsided.

Todd F.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Foster View Post
    I was about to order one or two thousand dollars worth of TMX 4 X 5 sheet film when I got some new info:

Kodak has a long standing policy of announcing product discontinuances 180 days, or 3 months in advance, I was told by an insider. Kodak makes these announcements to dealers on the 26th of each month. I was advised to check with my supplier of choice on the first of the month for these notifications. (Vendors such as Freestyle and B&H Photo.) www.kodak.com is another source.

My conclusion: when a 3 month notice appears, THEN I'll stock up. The key point is that the plug will NOT be pulled without notice.

If this is true, and I believe it, it's OK to wait. This is very important for color film users since that material has a much shorter shelf life, even when refrigerated. Hope this helps.

Let's hope that a buyer shows up and continues film production. If not, Kodak at some point will announce that in 3 months all film production will end. This might be if movie film production ceases in 3 years, a possibility mentioned by others, and there's no buyer for still film production. That will be a dark day. Meanwhile, I'm going to store a few hundred sheets of 4 X 5 TMX in the freezer just for psychological security.

Todd F.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin