Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,563   Online: 751

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Speed of Technical Pan Film

Digging through an old box of goodies I received from a friend, I just found an old sealed bulk 35mm film container labeled "Kodak Technical Pan Film 2415" and there is a serial number that is partially written over. Someone has written Unex. Test Roll "Short" in marker on the container.

I've rolled a couple short rolls of this to test it, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what speed tech pan is? Assuming it is tech pan I guess! While loading it I noticed that it is a pretty dark looking film, very dark gray. Much different than the Tmax that I had in the loader before this. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One more question. Has anyone out there tried developing this film with XTOL? Just curious. Thanks.

Images
    Good Evening, David,

Tech Pan can be exposed at various indices, depending on the subject matter and the developer used. For general pictorial purposes, an E. I. of approximately 25 is generally used, assuming that the developer will be Technidol (or similar).

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    if you shoot it at a high asa ( 200 i think?) you will get a high contrast negative. you can process the film in paper developer like dektol &C.
    the negatives, even when shot high contrast, are grainless.

not sure if it is true or not, but i have heard that techpan goes bad soon after expiration.

good luck!
    john

ps. i've posted an image ( high contrast ) in my personal gallery ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 12-13-2004 at 11:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know, I used TP back in the eary '80s. Still have about 100 feet left in the bulk loader. Tried a roll last week, developed in HC110 dilution "F". Fantastic results. very smooth, no grain. Who says film expires??
    Bart

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by $modelman$
    You know, I used TP back in the eary '80s. Still have about 100 feet left in the bulk loader. Tried a roll last week, developed in HC110 dilution "F". Fantastic results. very smooth, no grain. Who says film expires??
    Bart
    good to know the folks at the local pro-shop have no idea what they are talking about and that i can use the boxes and rolls i have sitting around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the technidol developer that doesn't last long after being mixed.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a matter of fact, what brought me back to TP was that I found a 36 exposure roll (undeveloped) in my darkroom. There since the '80s. Loaded it into my Jobo and developed (after 20 something years, the Latent image held up just fine, amazing!!
    Bart

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=jnanian]if you shoot it at a high asa ( 200 i think?) you will get a high contrast negative. you can process the film in paper developer like dektol &C.
    the negatives, even when shot high contrast, are grainless.

I shot TP this way 10 years ago on a highly overcast day in a VW graveyard. Beautiful stuff. The cloudy day really made the difference though. Otherwise it would hvae blown the high and low details.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin