Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,525   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acros @ 80?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Acros @ 80?

Awhile back someone recommended me, that since I shoot a Fuji GA645 which has a contrasty lens, I should shoot Acros 100 at ISO 80. At least that is what I think I remember being told. Shooting ISO 80 should lift the shadows a bit (which are dark on occasion). One thing I dont understand. If I shoot at ISO 80, does that mean I need to develop differently too? Should I tell the lab that I give this film to develop as an ISO 80?

Also, do you agree with the idea to shoot Acros at 80?

Thank you very much.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you want to lift the shadows, then shoot @80, but develop like you shot at 100. Basically, you'll just over expose the film by a very small amount, making the shadows less dark.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This advice is useful, but is dependent on development procedure. I shoot it at 64, but also have a developing scheme that promotes an insane amount of highlight and shadow detail (although I am moving away from this slowly). What developer are you planning on using and what look are you trying to accomplish.

Acros is an AMAZING film and very tolerable of mistakes.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was in school we used HC110, which according to the Fuji data guide, when used with Acros yields an EI of 80. That being said, I too would often expose it a bit longer and pull back on the development to increase the range of the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest not quibbling over a third of a stop at this point. It's too small.

If you want more robust shadow detail, keep it simple: shoot at 50 and develop normally. Acros has very high highlight contrast with a long scale, so unless you are dealing with an extremely high contrast subject, you will not lose anything in the highlights by exposing at 50. You'll simply have better shadow detail, and you print the negative down a little.

Reducing development time would bring the highlights down somewhat, which can make it easier to print, but this really depends on the contrast range of the scene you are photographing. There is no rule. The lab might say something like reduce development time by 20% for one stop overexposure - but then again someone like me would say exposing Acros at 50 is normal exposure. You'll have to see what works for you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cut ISO in half and reduce development by 10% is a rule that works for me in regular circumstances.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    do you agree with the idea to shoot Acros at 80?
    No.

The film in your camera is one of the most reliable things in your system.

In my experience box speed provides excellent results with more detail in the shadows than I will use with every film I have tried.

Until your own experience tells you that your have a problem just follow the normal use instructions.

What I mean by that is that only after you have eliminated all your own errors in metering (and an incident meter can really you do that and, if you have a lab print for you, you have eliminated any problems there and asked for proper reprints, then adjust.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I usually shoot at half of the speed and develop as normal. I think the accuracy of my Leica M4's shutter makes the difference of 1/3-1/2 stop negligible.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Its all kinda moot until we know the developer and the intent. But yes, it works great at 100, 80, 64, etc. and there's a lot of variation of what the film can accomplish. But for a general rule of thumb, going from 100 to 80 with a BW film like Acros is within the realm of silly since most cameras aren't that accurate metering OR there shutters would make up the difference.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Depends on the developer, of course. I use PMK pyro and always rate it at 50 in order to get the
    shadows further up the straight part of the curve. If you are having a lab develop it, you should
    do some simple testing at different ASA's of the same subject and see what works best for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin