Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,749   Online: 856

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I am not a big fan of pushing film. Professional photographers use passive reflactors to place more light on the subject.
    As a professional photographer, I rarely have time for reflectors.

As for delta 3200'vs hp5 pushed, depends on what you like more. Do you want grain the size of Toledo, or do you want all the tonality of a chessboard? It's a trade off. For medium format mostly I'd go for the delta as the grain is acceptable and the shadow detail pleasing. If it were 35mm and the appropriate subject matter, I might push the hp5. I really don't like the look of 3200 film in 35mm except in limited circumstances.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sorry to suggest this
    but why don't you try a roll
    of each for similar subject matter
    and see what YOU like the best ?
    everyone has different shooting styles
    and processing methods, so what works
    for one person and looks "great ! " looks
    like junk to the person who sits next to them.

me?
    3200 speed film processed in coffee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rippo View Post
    As a professional photographer, I rarely have time for reflectors.

As for delta 3200'vs hp5 pushed, depends on what you like more. Do you want grain the size of Toledo, or do you want all the tonality of a chessboard? It's a trade off. For medium format mostly I'd go for the delta as the grain is acceptable and the shadow detail pleasing. If it were 35mm and the appropriate subject matter, I might push the hp5. I really don't like the look of 3200 film in 35mm except in limited circumstances.
    For 35mm I prefer TMZ to Delta 3200, at least slightly. At 3200 it makes very nice 5x7s and 8x10s can be good depending on subject matter. There's grain, but it can work well for some subjects. It's very sharp. Just as for Delta 3200, I develop in T-Max developer per Kodak recommendation for 6400 (or one stop more than whatever I expose it at.)

For 1000-1600 I prefer Tri-X in Diafine. Superb combo. 1600 is quite usable in dim/overcast daylight, but it seems to be slower under tungsten, maybe 1000. I only go to TMZ when I need more speed than that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why do you need 3200?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I am not a big fan of pushing film. Professional photographers use passive reflactors to place more light on the subject.
    There's not always much to reflect!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sorry to suggest this
    but why don't you try a roll
    of each for similar subject matter
    and see what YOU like the best ?
    As I mentioned in my original post, have not yet received my 645 ProTL to do the trials myself. Obviously, when I do, I will be trying this myself. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by rippo
    you want grain the size of Toledo, or do you want all the tonality of a chessboard?
    I love the comparison!

Quote Originally Posted by fastw
    Why do you need 3200?
    I'll be shooting mostly indoors, mostly in the evening. I'd like keep my shutter speeds up and travel light without tripods, triggers or speedlights.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would chose Delta 3200 but wouldn┤t expose it at ISO 3200.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin