Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,084   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Would you rather...?

Fishing for ideas out there...

Whilst waiting for my Mamiya 645 ProTL (120 film) to arrive and having the opportunity to test it out myself, here is my question to you. Would you rather :

A) Use Ilford HP5 and push it to 3200

or

B) Use Ilford Delta 3200

or

C) Other BW film (I am not equipped to develop C-41)

This will be for available light snapshots/portraits. Please feel free to express opinions, indicate processing and include sample pictures.

Thanks and happy shooting!
    Last edited by sbmphoto; 09-05-2012 at 03:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Other, I used XP-1 then later XP-2 pushed to 3200 in C42 chemistry for many years

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Unfortunately, XP-2 and BW400CN films are out of the question as I am not equipped to self-develop C-41

Thanks for your reply though!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not a big fan of pushing film. Professional photographers use passive reflactors to place more light on the subject.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I am not a big fan of pushing film. Professional photographers use passive reflactors to place more light on the subject.
    So I'll take your comment as a vote for the delta 3200. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sbmphoto View Post
    So I'll take your comment as a vote for the delta 3200. Thanks!
    Actually Delta 3200 is a 1000 EI film designed for uprating, there's nothing new in this both Kodak and Fuji once made special high speed push process E6 films with a truer speed of 800 EI. The idea is that the films achieve optimal contrast and tonality when pushed in the development stage.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have had very good results with Delta 3200 in medium format. I meter and shoot at 1600, but process as if shot at 3200. Since it's really an ISO 800-1000 film, that's underexposed and then over-developed; which is what "pushing" is.

To me, this gives better results than HP5 (or Tri-X) since the push is not as much and you have the advantage of the T grains. I have had much experience with Tri-X pushed to ISO 1000 in Acufine, and find the Delta results to be superior.

As always, YMMV.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your input guys!

+1

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Delta 3200. I use it regularly in 120 and love the results. I develop in T-Max developer (because it's what I have but I'm sure DD-X would do just as well) per Ilford's instructions for 6400. Very good film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin