Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,402   Online: 1023

Shooter
    Multi Format

Residual Hypo test

In the past, I would test for residual hypo on a reject print that I would toss out after testing. Today, I tested a keeper print. I squeegeed the surface dry and placed a drop in one corner, waited two minutes and blotted off the solution. I got no stain so I thought everything is fine. Now the print is dry and there's a faint tan stain where the solution was placed.

My procedure is to use a two rapid fixer bath for 30 seconds each, holding tray with a weak solution of a washing aid, rinse in a large tray for a few minutes, HCA for ten minutes with regular agitation and shuffling of prints and 60 minutes in a Versalab washer. Now I'm worried that I'm not washing enough. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee, I would not worry..or maybe I should. My understanding of the residual hypo test is that is to be read after a couple of minutes and then checked. Afterwards a slight stain will occur and after a few days it may be quite a bit darker. That's why I DO NOT use it on a print I plan to frame or keep.

Be interested to hear from others here.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I thought at one time the silver nitrate in the test solution to be
    printing out. Maybe not. Although the halides of silver are by light
    reduced to silver, that is likely not the case with the nitrate. Of
    course as soon as that nitrate hits all that organic matter ... .

Nitrate is a strong oxydizer and may be "burning", coloring, some
    portion of the gelatin.

If there is any hypo remaining then the acetic acid in the test
    solution decomposes the thiosulfate present leaveing free sulfur
    which combines with silver giveing a stain.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin