Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,526   Posts: 1,543,910   Online: 1079

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had my ilfosol 3 for over 6 months and it still works fine but I was very anal about its storage. When I first opened the bottle I decanted half of it directly into a impermiable plastic chemistry bottle and made sure I never shook or unduly agitated it. Also I stored it in a cool dark place. When first opened ilfosol is clear but soon after got a slight yellow tinge which has been getting darker over the months. I'm probably not gonna push it for another film but I almost got through it all! :-D

The very worst thing you can do with developers is leave them in a half full bottle. Buy smaller bottles.

Second you have no idea of the age of the original bottle unless you cracked the Ilford code.

So now, buy powered developers or mix your own from scratch and store them in small onetime use bottles. That or go digital. Toss them after 6 months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Will do. I have one last sealed Ilfosol 3 and goodby. I need to stick with liquids as much as possible as I spent 30 years in a factory dealing with very bad dust, powder and assorted poisons. Many dead coworkers who would not heed my urgings to use the vent hoods. Idiots. Dead idiots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goldstein View Post
    Newbie question here. Would a used wine bottle with a screw cap work as a better way to store Ilfosol 3 instead of it's as shipped plastic container?

The concentrate should be fine in the original package for at least as long as Ilford specifies. If you want to try to keep it longer, you could repackage it in several small glass bottles completely filled up to eliminate air space. For example, if you transfer a 500ml bottle of concentrate into five 100ml bottles with as little air space as possible, tightly sealed, it may (probably will) last longer than in the partially full original container. That way, you only have one partially used bottle of concentrate exposed to a smaller volume of air at any time.

The size of the bottle and how well it seals matters. If you are using a 750ml wine bottle, it will always have more air in it than the original 500ml plastic bottle, so that is actually worse unless you displace the air with nitrogen, butane, or "canned air" aka "gas duster" (which is not really air, but usually difluoroethane, trifluoroethane, or tetrafluoroethane).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use Rodinal instead (now Adonal or R09).

The concentrate lasts forever (as in decades), even in partially-used bottles.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does sound like good stuff. MSDS sheet is a little confusing. How bad is this stuff? Can I pour it down a Chicago sink. We have a very high dilution factor in Chicago. Plenty of free water.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    The very worst thing you can do with developers is leave them in a half full bottle. Buy smaller bottles.

Second you have no idea of the age of the original bottle unless you cracked the Ilford code.

So now, buy powered developers or mix your own from scratch and store them in small onetime use bottles. That or go digital. Toss them after 6 months.
    Even if you evacuate the oxygen out of the bottle?
    --
    David

Shooter
    35mm
    I use Ilfosol 3 a lot. It tends to go off quickly if you don't do something to exclude oxygen from the bottle. The concentrate is virtually clear when new, but goes darker with age. I use a Tetenal spray product to keep it fresh. You just squirt a bit into the bottle after each use and it lasts well. It's a lot more convenient than mixing powder if you only do 1 or 2 films each week.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a good plan. I also, may just go to Rodinal. I am a K.I.S.S. kinda of idiot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin