Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,575   Online: 1123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Neopan 400 and xtol

Is anyone here using this combo? I've shot a couple of rolls and love this combo. For me, it is nicer (subjective) than tmax or tri-x in xtol.

Great tones and fine grain. Very nice.

(I have shot Acros 100 and used xtol for even nice results).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was debating on how to develop my first roll of Neopan 100, so I'm glad I found your post. Maybe Iíll have to pick up some Xtol this weekend. I was just going to get some D-76, but I really hate mixing it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    xtol is a powder as well.

i found fuji's times to be a bit on the long side. so you might have to work out your dev times as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    Is anyone here using this combo? I've shot a couple of rolls and love this combo. For me, it is nicer (subjective) than tmax or tri-x in xtol.

Great tones and fine grain. Very nice.

(I have shot Acros 100 and used xtol for even nice results).

[FONT=Tahoma]I develop Neopan 400 in Rodinal, 1:25 and get fine grained results. For Acros 100, (the 1st TRUE 100 ISO film I've seen) I use HC-110 1:51 straight from the bottle.

Full range of tones. The one time I processed Neo400 in HC, I did get a smoother tonality range, I must admit, but there's something about Rodinal.[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A powder I don't mind so much, it getting the water between 122-131F that I find the bigest pain.

Well, The Massive Dev Chart suggest 6 minutes at 20C, I probably will go with that, unless anyone has a better suggestion. I've been shooting Technical Pan for so long that the only thing I'm use to keeping in stock is Technidol. Now that it's history I'm trying to find another film/developer I like.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe
    [FONT=Tahoma]For Acros 100, (the 1st TRUE 100 ISO film I've seen) I use HC-110 1:51 straight from the bottle.[/FONT]
    What dev time do you suggest / use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe
    [FONT=Tahoma]I develop Neopan 400 in Rodinal, 1:25 and get fine grained results. For Acros 100, (the 1st TRUE 100 ISO film I've seen) I use HC-110 1:51 straight from the bottle..[/FONT]
    I'm surprised, as I have found it slower than both TMAX100, Delta 100 and FP4 plus. I personally would rate it a good 1/3 stop to 1/2 stop slower than TMAx100. Have you found other 100 fims in the same dev slower? (in case it is the HC110 at this extra dilution giving extra speed)?

Tom

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by captainwookie
    I was debating on how to develop my first roll of Neopan 100, so I'm glad I found your post. Maybe Iíll have to pick up some Xtol this weekend. I was just going to get some D-76, but I really hate mixing it.

I've been having good luck with a home-brew that is very simple and uses all ingredients available in supermarket or drugstore, except the phenidone.

1 liter water at 70F
    1/2 tsp. Vitamin C powder
    1 tsp Washing Soda (sodium carbonate)
    4 ml 1% Phenidone (1 g. dissolved in 100 ml. 90% alcohol)

Neopan 400 (rated at ISO 200)
    Time: 6:45

The developer takes almost no longer to mix up than mixing up a store-bought from concentrate (e.g. HC110 or Xtol).

The characteristics of this will be similar to Xtol. Fine grain, good tonal scale.
    It's also non-toxic to humans and environment.

Larry

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin