Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,707   Online: 951

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ldh

Shooter
    Pinhole

Selenium and warm tone

Dobry rano,
    I have a selection of my work (from Siberia) that I am beginning to print this winter...I will be conducting tests soon to choose an appropriate paper for this work...I would like a decidedly warm tone, but not to the point of looking sepia or brown. I would also like to selenium tone the prints but I've had difficulty in the past with warm tone papers really going crazy with selenium and changing color completely or becoming just too brown. I dont have much experience with warmtone papers so any suggestions heading in to my trials would be (as usual) much appreciated...oh I should say that I would prefer a glossy surface but wouldnt reject the possibility of going with a matte surface...any experience with the new Oriental Warmtone?...

zatim ahoj...
    Last edited by ldh; 12-14-2004 at 06:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    s ledem prosim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I suggest Forte Polywarmtone PW14 paper with Ansco 130 developer 1:1, TF3 fixer and Kodak Selenium Toner 1:19 for 7 minutes all with distilled water. Air dried face down on screens. This is what I have been using for the last 3 years and I am very pleased with the tone I get. Season greetings. Bulent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Give AGFA MCC a try
    It is neutral but reacts to a nice reddish-gray in selenium
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Another technique for achieving a warm tone that is slight is to use a two step bleach process (such as Kodak's Sepia system) but do not bleach out the print... only bleach out until the detail in the hightlights or lightes area is gone the continue on as normal. I use this technique to give me a bit of warmth in the light areas, but not to affect (at least viisually) the blaks and darkest tones... messing about with how fare you bleach will give one different results... (I use a normal paper in most cases for this, Ilford's MG FB 1.K ... I've tried the process on the warmtone Ilford papers but it goes too warm / sepia for my purpose)...
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    35mm
    My favorite warm paper is Ilford Warmtone. I also use glossy. With selenium toning, I tend to use a rather concentrated solution KRST mixed about 1:4, also kept on the warm side (about 80+degreen F). The blacks and grays deepen, then the darker tones start taking on a reddish brown, then the print eventually turns a warm brown. I usually like the effect of split toning. I try to pull the print when the blacks and dark grays turn the reddish brown. The mid and light tone retain their properties. Even at the concentration I am using, the transition of colors may take 5 min or so, allowing the print to be pulled at any point. I think it is a great looking paper even untoned.
    Sam

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Give AGFA MCC a try
    It is neutral but reacts to a nice reddish-gray in selenium
    I too have used this combination very successfully, but it may be more than ldh wants, according to his post. It can go to the red, if you let it.

I often will tone for only 2-1/2 minutes in 1:9 KRST. This gives INCOMPLETE Selenium protection, but it's better that none for those who don't want a noticeable color shift.

ldh, if warm is what you want, without brown or sepia, try to get it with your developer, not your paper. That way you can use your usual paper and vary the tone with developer, selenium toning for permanence, without color shift.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Another fiber paper that reacts with a warm brownish tone in selenium is Emaks K888. It reacts fast in selenium so the time in toner is usually just 1-3 minutes, toner diluted 1+9. If you give it just a minute it will give you a slight hint of purpurish but longer time will warm it up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I prefer to let it tone for 10 miniutes or so in Paterson Selenium 1+4
    I think it's toned to completion, or very close since the highlights get some color shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge
    I too have used this combination very successfully, but it may be more than ldh wants, according to his post. It can go to the red, if you let it.

I often will tone for only 2-1/2 minutes in 1:9 KRST. This gives INCOMPLETE Selenium protection, but it's better that none for those who don't want a noticeable color shift.

ldh, if warm is what you want, without brown or sepia, try to get it with your developer, not your paper. That way you can use your usual paper and vary the tone with developer, selenium toning for permanence, without color shift.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    My favourite warmtone paper is Fomatone MG Classic (comes with various surfaces: glossy, matt, chamois) developed in either Fomatone H or Fomatone PW. If you tone it in selenium, work with a very diluted solution (e.g. 1:19) and don't let it unattended - it does turn chocolate brown if you don't take it out soon enough. 5 minutes worked well for me (it took 30 minutes to become very warm, reddish brown).

For toning I can also recommend thiocarbamide where you can control the 'color' by mixing different ratios of thiocarbamide and sodium hydroxide. I usually tone Fomabrom papers. (I can send you a formula if you like.)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You might try Berggger prestige in selenium - it will become quite warm surprised me, nice tone -- been playing with a few papers since Mother discontinued Polymax in larger size

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin