Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,220   Posts: 1,659,570   Online: 606
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Alan W's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    404
    Images
    61
    It wouldn't surprise me if the French were behind this.

  2. #12
    Aurelien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Limoges, France
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    669
    Images
    96
    Who is the French?
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

    the analog place to be

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Daventry, Northamptonshire, England
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    7,526
    Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    Strictly speaking Kentmere is not the same as Ilford and it's not sold under the Ilford brand as you can see on this web page:

    http://ilfordphoto.com/products/prod...26+White+Films
    Yes but for all practical purposes Kentmere film is produced at Mobberley as is Kentmere paper although and you are quite right on this neither appear under the Ilford banner products on its website. It belongs to the Ilford empire. Each time an APUGer questions something about Kentmere it is Simon Galley of Ilford who comments.

    So if others are right that Kentmere 400 film is the same as Rollei then is it the case that Ilford produces Kentmere films in effect as its own product but is contracted to produce Rollei film as someone else's product? If so and the films are the same has Ilford used the Rollei 400 product to market a replica film called Kentmere 400 or given its permission for Rollei to market a replica Kentmere film called Rollei RPX400 and has obligingly produced it to help Rollei?

    Seems a strange kind of entrepreneurial relationship?

    pentaxuser

  4. #14
    michaelbsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,106
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    Who is the French?
    Those folks across the channel.

    You know how we are, always looking for someone to blame.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

    The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

  5. #15
    ath
    ath is offline
    ath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    [...] has Ilford used the Rollei 400 product to market a replica film called Kentmere 400 or given its permission for Rollei to market a replica Kentmere film called Rollei RPX400 and has obligingly produced it to help Rollei?
    AFAIR the Kentmere film appeared on the market before RPX.

    Protecting the (high end) Ilford branded products while catering the house brand market with Kentmere to me seems to be a smart business move.
    Regards,
    Andreas

  6. #16
    Alan W's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    404
    Images
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Those folks across the channel.

    You know how we are, always looking for someone to blame.
    Thanks Michael

  7. #17
    cmacd123's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stittsville, Ontario
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,292
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    Protecting the (high end) Ilford branded products while catering the house brand market with Kentmere to me seems to be a smart business move.
    You will not find it easily on the Ilford site but they also have another line (different again) called ILFORD PAN which they only willing sell in "selected" (mostly third world) markets.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by montecarlo View Post
    Hello,

    I was wondering if the two films mentioned above are the same.
    Thank you.
    No, they are definitely not the same films, but different emulsions. If you compare them directly side by side you will see it.
    Independant developer manufacturers like Wolfgang Moersch ( www.moersch-photochemie.de ) and Heribert Schain from Spur (www.spur-photo.com ) have intensively tested both the two Kentmere and the two RPX films and say that the emulsions are different (and therefore also different developing times in the Moersch and Spur developers).
    Another friend of mine has also tested these films in direct comparison and has confirmed the results from Moersch and Spur.

    The RPX films are coated by Harman/Ilfordphoto.
    But as Simon Galley always very clearly has said, they will not offer their original Ilford and Kentmere products to other companies.
    But they do manufacturing for other companies with different products.

    Best regards,
    Henning

  9. #19
    Peltigera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Yes but for all practical purposes Kentmere film is produced at Mobberley as is Kentmere paper although and you are quite right on this neither appear under the Ilford banner products on its website. It belongs to the Ilford empire. Each time an APUGer questions something about Kentmere it is Simon Galley of Ilford who comments.

    So if others are right that Kentmere 400 film is the same as Rollei then is it the case that Ilford produces Kentmere films in effect as its own product but is contracted to produce Rollei film as someone else's product? If so and the films are the same has Ilford used the Rollei 400 product to market a replica film called Kentmere 400 or given its permission for Rollei to market a replica Kentmere film called Rollei RPX400 and has obligingly produced it to help Rollei?

    Seems a strange kind of entrepreneurial relationship?

    pentaxuser
    Ilford Photo is a trading name of Harman technology and they can only use the Ilford name on those items they took over from Ilford Imaging. Their own products (Kentmere) cannot be called Ilford. Harman (trading as Ilford Photo) make the Kentmere films. Rollei don't make anything.

  10. #20
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    Ilford Photo is a trading name of Harman technology and they can only use the Ilford name on those items they took over from Ilford Imaging. Their own products (Kentmere) cannot be called Ilford. Harman (trading as Ilford Photo) make the Kentmere films. Rollei don't make anything.
    Are you saying they can never produce a brand new product and call it Ilford?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin