Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,953   Posts: 1,557,986   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Shot Tri-X @ EI3200 but....

So I was at a music festival today and shot half a dozen rolls of film. Three of which were rolls of Tri-X in my Hexar AF. One roll, the last one was shot at 3200. In my state of total exhaustion upon arriving home just now I pulled that last roll out of the Hexar and dropped it into the pile with the other rolls before remembering to mark it!

Now I'm not sure which roll it was of the three . I don't want to risk ruining the other two, so I'm wondering how badly underexposed will that roll be if it is processed at 400? I realize it'll be dark but will it be salvageable? I'm so bummed out as it was a whole roll of Jane's Addiction live this evening and I was right up front.

I took a guess as to which roll it MIGHT be, but I can't be sure.

What should I do guys?
    - Abram

Mamiya 7II / Hasselblad 500CM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    depending on how important the other two rolls are, i'd just push them all. Or if the other two are more important, process them all normally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    clip test the last frame to see which one it is?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    depending on how important the other two rolls are, i'd just push them all. Or if the other two are more important, process them all normally.
    Well this last roll was taking a chance because the light at the stage was rather dim (between 1/60-1/30 @ f/2 ISO 3200) so I probably will have more keepers from the other two rolls. Nothing is for an assignment which is why I shot film, this was just for fun, but I wanted to get the best results I could obviously.

And in regard to the clip test comment, I'll ask my lab if they'll do that for me, I don't have the provisions at home to process yet but I do have a trustworthy lab.

Well I learned that lesson MARK YOUR ROLLS FIRST.
    - Abram

Mamiya 7II / Hasselblad 500CM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think you should just process all three as you would normally for the other two.

A 3-stop push may only move the shadow point on the film curve up 2/3 to 1-stop. It can help but it's not a magic bullet.

If you actually got close to a usable exposure, something inside Tri-X's real physical limits, you will get a reasonable amount of info on film curve even with normal development.

Pushing is not about getting lots of great shadow detail, it is about making the info you do get when you underexpose (shoot at say 3200), easier to print.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which dev are you planning to use ?

Perhaps using diafine could be a good solution. It has good results from 400 up to 1600.
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    do them 1 by 1 @ 400. This way the first role will be 1 in 3 chance, the second a 1 in 2... Who knows, you might get lucky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    get a dark green safelight filter.
    process the rolls 1 at a time, and
    after each roll being processed
    pull it out of your tank and see if
    your film was processed.
    you will easily see there is something on the film
    and because it is a green filter, you can easily develop by inspection.
    THEN
    when you find the roll that looks like there is nothing on it, stick it back
    in your tank and finish processing it.

have fun !
    john

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/devinsp.html
    explains it all ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since your lab is handling it, clip tests are the way to go, hands down.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd say don't develop the 3200 normally, there won't be anything there.

Check with the lab of course, snip tests may save the day but they may be able to Develop by Inspection and see the roll that needs additional time.

Or what's the worst can happen if you push them all 2 stops? Some dense contrasty negatives that need Grade 0 to print.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin