Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,591   Posts: 1,545,960   Online: 1268

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    has this ever happened before and will it happen the next time you do film?

I've never seen this happen to mine in 40-plus years and i process my film in the kitchen sink using utah tap water, d-76 and kodak fix, no stop bath, and simply foto-flo after which I hang them downstairs in the basement next to the washer-dryer where my wife has a clothes line -- utah's very dry air assures quick drying ---

not sure why you use steam in the bathroom -- you want them to dry, not stay went and tacky longer.

anyway, try some more film, see if it happens again, try to eliminate possible causes.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Have you tried the dev at 1+25? I think (could be wrong) but when I ran PanF+ in Xtol at 1+3, I noticed some issues that were similar, it is theoretically possible (but maybe I am wrong) that this film, when processed more dilute will have issues? Food for thought (but maybe I am not remembering correct though, as I have evaluated many films; however, I did conclude that PanF+ worked better for me less dilute.....)
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    These do not look like air bubbles / pinholes caused by processing. Typical air bubbles or pinholes caused by air are seen by transmitted light, not by incident light as in your examples.

They look more like some sort of damage to the film itself, which has blown away the emulsion. This might take place if the processing solutions were too hot.

If you see actual physical damage to the emulsion, as in craters, rough spots, or some sort of damage that you can feel with a finger, then it is either the process or the film. Since this took place on what appears to be 120 and 35mm, I suspect the process.

PE
    PE, please have a look at my first photo. This was taken with a 50mm on top of the negative. These marks are clearly visible in between the two frames. In this case is transmitted light.
    All my solutions are at about 20°C +-1°C at max.

Second problem: why do I get the larger spots on clear sky areas? These spots are black on the negative and I can't feel them on the emulsion. It's much like spots caused by colloidal sulfur from fixer except that my fixer is prepared fresh everytime (I use it one-shot) and the bottle (Tetenal odourless) is new.
    The following is an example of them: http://flic.kr/p/d8Q1cE
    Notice the black spots on the upper right part of the sky.

I don't use Hypo Clearing Agent.
    These problems came up on two Ilford PanF+ rolls belonging to the same batch number (which I lost since I've thrown the package away) and bought on the same dealer the same day.

I begin to suspect that is it the deep freezing that ruined them.
    Wandering on apug I've found this post of mine: http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-66228.html where I was complaining of the very same problem this time on a slide roll...

Ilford doesn't recommend freezing films...
    Last edited by Alessandro Serrao; 09-09-2012 at 02:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, one problem is that I cannot see the bubbles in the first picture on my monitor. In fact, I cannot see anything distinct in the above example. Sorry.

I can see the problem in the middle set of pictures in the earlier samples you posted.

You get them on the sky areas because that is more uniform in density and so the blemishes appear there more easily. They are probably everywhere. OTOH, they may be due to foam in the developer, stop or fix. IDK. I suggest a prewash if you are not using one.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, one problem is that I cannot see the bubbles in the first picture on my monitor. In fact, I cannot see anything distinct in the above example. Sorry.

I can see the problem in the middle set of pictures in the earlier samples you posted.

You get them on the sky areas because that is more uniform in density and so the blemishes appear there more easily. They are probably everywhere. OTOH, they may be due to foam in the developer, stop or fix. IDK. I suggest a prewash if you are not using one.

PE
    That's interesting.
    Ilford warns against using a prewash since: "...it can cause uneven development problem".
    But I will give it a shot anyway.
    PE, you have to look carefully at the space between the two frames, right in the middle of it.
    Those white tiny spots, they can be felt to the touch.

I've also found this answer of yours here on Apug: [upon freezing] "The gelatin loses its ability to peptize silver properly and it also loses water to some extent and ends up being less elastic and the silver halide crystals can then aggregate. This causes coating defects and pepper grain."

Is this my problem?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I've never had any physical damage effects that I could tell, from freezing my film. This is however prior to opening the roll for use. I've never frozen film after shooting it, I try to process ASAP.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    http://flic.kr/p/d8TPUj
    here can also be seen a weird artifact: a rainbow like vertical streak plus a lot of white dots...
    No drying marks can be seen on the negative acetate and emulsion side...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i'm currently working my way through a roll 100 feet of ilford panF that I bought in 1978 or thereabouts and had frozen solid for lo these many years -- thawed it out last year and have not had these issues. Never heard that Ilford doesn't recommend freezing.

I think before you or we speculate any more you need to go shoot another roll and soup it tonight and see if this happens again. at this point i think we all have insufficient data.

although if I were you I'd just rinse in foto-flo and hang somewhere clean to dry, not the shower. High humidity will keep the emulsion tacky longer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post

although if I were you I'd just rinse in foto-flo and hang somewhere clean to dry, not the shower. High humidity will keep the emulsion tacky longer.
    The thread opener is already using a wetting agent: Tetenal Mirasol, which is similar to Photo Flo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin