Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,180   Online: 1074

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Only Kodak hypo clear or other makes as well? All the time or at what frequency? If not all the time then under what circumstances?

By itself this is a pretty devastating "throw away" line. Taken at face value we should all stop using Kodak hypo clear immediately and examine all our films that have been treated with Kodak hypo clear.

I think that some amplification on your statement needs to be given otherwise the adjective "alarmist" might be applied to the statement.

I am sure this was not your intention

pentaxuser
    Most of the time, people blame film products, when they should just clean their dev tanks every now and then and just use distilled water entirely, so that water factor is isolated.
    Alessandro is blessed to live in the country that made one of the most reliable and fairly priced distillers in Europe.
    I have never had problems with Ilford PanF+ or any other film, I guess I am cursed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Several points here:

Hypo clear should not cause this type of problem. I have never heard of this issue before this thread, and I have no idea how hypo clear of all things should cause the problem.

Simon is right in his post. In fact, IMHO, Ilford, Kodak and Fuji stand alone in high quality film production, and in full inspection for defects. The record of Ilford responding to issues like this stands above all other companies. It is not likely to be a coating issue.

The last point is the issue of prewet. I agree with Simon, that it should not be necessary, but outside of a lab, with untrained operators or new operators in the lab, I have found that a prewet will almost assuredly clear up any problem with spots or unevenness. That and proper agitation are almost always the culprit.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Several points here:

Hypo clear should not cause this type of problem. I have never heard of this issue before this thread, and I have no idea how hypo clear of all things should cause the problem.

PE
    No I have never heard of this either nor do I recall seeing it mentioned here on APUG and I have been reading an awful lot of posts for about 6-7 years. Hence my questions to the person posting it. All I can do is await the answers from the poster

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the chemistry involved was something other than a Kodak brand, NB23 wouldn't have made the comment
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I would like to publicy thank Sue Evans and Simon R Galley and everyone at ILFORD HARMAN TECH LTD for having solved this problem.
    It was my fault: I had not let the rolls to thaw long enough. Silmply as that.
    I'd like also to stress to support ILFORD: they are absolutely THE BEST around. Folks that deserve every penny we spend on their products.
    Absolutely first class support.
    Thanks again ILFORD!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fantastic! It's great to hear the outcome. So often these issues never get totally settled. Thanks for the update.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin