Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,456   Online: 992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Fomapan R100 redated expired film?

From dr5.com:

"FILM UPDATE - JUNE~SEPT 2012 : We have gotten no notice from either 'foma the company or the US-importer' of this film. EM#-017676-01 HAS NOT been recalled. We have recently been getting in EM#-015676-02 with an Exp date of 2011-06. The same EM# has been coming in with an Exp-date of 2013-07. This is "REDATED" expired film. The factory is surley aware of this, I am sure the importer is as well. "

Actually I have the batch 015676/02 exp date 2012-11.
    If this is true, Foma can be sued...
    Anyone can confirm this?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    From dr5.com:

"FILM UPDATE - JUNE~SEPT 2012 : We have gotten no notice from either 'foma the company or the US-importer' of this film. EM#-017676-01 HAS NOT been recalled. We have recently been getting in EM#-015676-02 with an Exp date of 2011-06. The same EM# has been coming in with an Exp-date of 2013-07. This is "REDATED" expired film. The factory is surley aware of this, I am sure the importer is as well. "

Actually I have the batch 015676/02 exp date 2012-11.
    If this is true, Foma can be sued...
    Anyone can confirm this?
    In the USA most companies have replaced an "expiration date" with a "best by" date. There is really no magic date that any product goes bad on. The maker of any product has to guess at the date when it will or will not meet their arbitrary set quality standards. Perhaps the newly formulated film lasts much longer than the old film. Don't sue them just buy the film. If it works for you buy more. If it has too much fog and lack of contrast spend more and buy Kodak, Ilford or Fuji film.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Great idea Alessandro, lets sue Foma, so it can loose so much money that it has to close it's doors!
    What about part of master roll being frozen until later delivery date??

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
    Great idea Alessandro, lets sue Foma, so it can loose so much money that it has to close it's doors!
    What about part of master roll being frozen until later delivery date??
    Freezing slows down but doesn't halt the aging process...
    Here we are talking at least 5 years span...
    Last edited by Alessandro Serrao; 09-09-2012 at 10:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    In our home freezers most likely not but I'm not sure about industrial scale freezing operations? I heard stories about Kodak doing it for years. Not sure what are Foma's freezing capabilities.
    Also light sensitive materials now is not very lucrative business, they have to squeeze out as much as they can from existing inventory.
    You can always sue them or switch to other film supplier, there are still few left!

Shooter
    35mm
    The expiry date, I am 99% sure, was created just to insure film producers somekind of a turnaround. Imagine films not having an expiry date: The companies would go bankrupt in no time.

I've used Iso 100 BW film that was expired fo r15 years with absolutely no change. My 20x24 prints are beautiful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    The expiry date, I am 99% sure, was created just to insure film producers somekind of a turnaround. Imagine films not having an expiry date: The companies would go bankrupt in no time.

I've used Iso 100 BW film that was expired fo r15 years with absolutely no change. My 20x24 prints are beautiful.
    Slow films do last a very long time past expiry, but I've found the dates on high speed films like Tmax 3200 and Delta 3200 should be religiously observed. I've used Tri-X that was a few yrs outdated and it was pretty awful.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    For the moment being I've sent an email to Foma asking for explanation.
    I'll report asap.

Shooter
    127 Format
    People love to kill film companies.

There must be a real desire to put Foma out of business. I remember the 120 backing paper threads from a couple of years ago.

Personally I love Foma films and papers and hope they remain in business for a long time. It's sad we have recently lost Fotokemika. And Ferrania not long before that.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    People love to kill film companies.

There must be a real desire to put Foma out of business. I remember the 120 backing paper threads from a couple of years ago.

Personally I love Foma films and papers and hope they remain in business for a long time. It's sad we have recently lost Fotokemika. And Ferrania not long before that.

Film companies kill themselves. All of them. Kodak, Efke, Agfa.
    The customer cannot do anything except buying their products; the customer as a consumer should be free to decide to spend his/her money on something else just because the company acted in a certain way or doesn't care for him... It's called freedom of choice.
    Last edited by Alessandro Serrao; 09-10-2012 at 02:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin