Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,340   Online: 917

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    very well said!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format

Arista Double wieght Fiber..

Hey guys.. Saw this posting about Arista EDu products.. I'm currently using VC double weight Fiber 11x14 for my printing. I'm pretty happy with the results. The black deep rich tone and white are very nice with still showing detail. However I notice when a silininium tone my photos, it does darken a bit more. I do recall back in the day that is was one of the properties of Sil toning that you had to be aware of. Someone here might be able to tell me forsure. I was eyeing the 120 film that they offer,espcially the price per roll, however I'm really liking my old standby of Ilford Delta 100 120.

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Hey guys.. Saw this posting about Arista EDu products.. I'm currently using VC double weight Fiber 11x14 for my printing. I'm pretty happy with the results. The black deep rich tone and white are very nice with still showing detail. However I notice when a silininium tone my photos, it does darken a bit more. I do recall back in the day that is was one of the properties of Sil toning that you had to be aware of. Someone here might be able to tell me forsure. I was eyeing the 120 film that they offer,espcially the price per roll, however I'm really liking my old standby of Ilford Delta 100 120.

Todd
    Selenium toning will increase the contrast of your print by darkening the shadows. Some papers react stronger than others.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Here is a 9x12" print using 35mm Foma 400, processed in Edwal 12. 100% different.
    Nice!

Edwal 12? Never heard of!

I'll get back when I have some scans from my Fomadon LQN developed negatives.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This was shot on Arista EDU Ultra 100
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails St Marks.jpg  
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did some printing today an the Arista edu fb matte paper, I failed at achieving a level of contrast I could be happy with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To me, matt paper has a grayish black. Try printing on glossy.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    I did some printing today an the Arista edu fb matte paper, I failed at achieving a level of contrast I could be happy with.
    I tried the EDU RC paper and didn't care for it, even for contact prints. YMMV.

Some people love matte paper but the other poster is right - the maximum black will never be as deep as the same paper in glossy and this can reduce the contrast. Bear in mind that fiber based "glossy" is really only glossy if ferrotyped, something almost no one does anymore. FB glossy air dried, what used to be called "glossy dried matte" is definitely smoother and shinier than matte paper but doesn't have the highly reflective finish of ferrotyped glossy or RC glossy. It's probably the single most popular surface for FB for good reason. (Not that I don't like matte for some things, and others prefer it for all their work - YMMV.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Matt paper never looks as deep as glossy for blacks, it's all about light reflectance. IMO, matt looks muddy and not as crisp as glossy. It does have it's place, I like it for soft focus subjects and portraiture, when deep blacks aren't needed. I also think it's da bomb for hi-key subjects (my opinion).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    To me, matt paper has a grayish black. Try printing on glossy.
    I can't argue that glossy paper will appear to have deeper blacks, but at the same time switching materials isn't going to teach the OP much at this stage. It isn't supposed to be easy; the struggle will make us stronger and see possibilities we wouldn't otherwise have.

I have said it a million times: the paper we use and its paper developer is something you have to target with everything else that you do. All that you do when you pick your film, pick your film developer, expose the film, film developing time, agitation, temperature - everything, all of it will have to fit on the paper. If you switch papers in the middle of everything you are introducing yet another variable, and when we learn (or re-learn as in this case) the less variables we have the better it is. It is, after all, about learning a technique.

I have used matte paper in my prints for a decade now, almost exclusively, and I have used several hundred sheets of the type of paper Jenni is currently using. It isn't bad paper at all. It is Foma VC paper as we know, and that's a quality product. It is possible to achieve deep, rich, velvet blacks with this paper, but it takes a bit of practice, some pain, some hard work, analysis of technique and improvements to make it happen.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin