Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,755   Online: 993

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Jenni,

I'm sure that for an EI of 200 your exposure was bang on. But the film probably isn't a true 200-speed film, and in order to get better (read 'more') shadow detail, exposing the film at a lower EI, say 100, would have gotten you shadows with more separation. Basically, it's a film dynamic rather than your skill at metering the light, and could be described as under-exposure.

OOooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh that makes sense My testing will be very revealing I think. Thanks for clearing that up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    This is correct. Unless you are burning and dodging different parts of the image during the soft and hard grade exposures, there is no real difference between split grade printing and using single contrast filters - except technically split grade printing effectively allows for continuously variable contrast grades rather than discrete half-grade intervals. This is a subtelty though.

Best for novice printers not to overcomplicate things.
    Well yes. And I have on rare occasions when, say, a grade 3 was a touch too soft and a 3.5 a touch too hard, given part of the exposure through a 3 and part through a 3.5. For me that's an easier way of getting that intermediate contrast than using the softest and hardest filters. But most of the time half grade steps are plenty fine enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree about the filters. For now I'm going to concentrate on getting my negatives exposed the way I like them so I can work them in the darkroom the way I like them. I have to do one thing at a time and stay consistent so that I know when I change something what an impact it has. I am sure in the near future you will be reading a post about me asking for help on the filters and what does what I have about 1001 questions on the subject of photography.

I'm going on 22 years of being a student of photography and I'm proud of it. I love learning and making art. I hope I never "master" it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Gotta say I admire your spirit Jenni, I took the shortcut and decided to scan my negatives and print digitally (I started like six months ago only..). One day, when I got space at home and spend less time on work, I'll be the one asking all those questions... hehe!
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've tried both and find it far, far easier to get a good black and white print optically in the darkroom. This isn't true for me with color (where it's about equally difficult but quicker digitally.)

Of course I've been printing optically off and on since the 70s. While I've also used computers since the early 80s most other computer experience doesn't help with imaging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Felinik View Post
    Gotta say I admire your spirit Jenni, I took the shortcut and decided to scan my negatives and print digitally (I started like six months ago only..). One day, when I got space at home and spend less time on work, I'll be the one asking all those questions... hehe!
    Oh don't think I'm not tempted to do it that way. Just to have a nice print.... but the process is what makes it so much fun! I love the smell of fixer in the morning!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I've tried both and find it far, far easier to get a good black and white print optically in the darkroom. This isn't true for me with color (where it's about equally difficult but quicker digitally.)

Of course I've been printing optically off and on since the 70s. While I've also used computers since the early 80s most other computer experience doesn't help with imaging.
    I want to be able to say as Thomas said "Look I Made It Without A Computer - #LIMIWAC" I'm sure you will agree watching the image magical appear in the developer tray is intoxicating even if it is all wrong. Well for me anyway. I'm guess I'm a little nutty like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nope, you sound just fine to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    ...I'm sure you will agree watching the image magical appear in the developer tray is intoxicating ...
    That's been intoxicating to me since my parents got me a "darkroom kit" when I was eleven. Somehow it never stops being magic even once you know most of the secrets about how it works.

I put it down for a lot of years while I was raising a family, but it was just as awe inspiring years later when I came back.

It's really like being six years old opening birthday presents looking at the first wet print under the red light from a roll of film that you've been anticipating for a while.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I've tried both and find it far, far easier to get a good black and white print optically in the darkroom.
    I'm sure it is, though I am getting pretty good stuff out here with the MIS UT-14 inkset, but again, one day....

http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin