Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,832   Online: 971

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    I want to be able to say as Thomas said "Look I Made It Without A Computer - #LIMIWAC" I'm sure you will agree watching the image magical appear in the developer tray is intoxicating even if it is all wrong. Well for me anyway. I'm guess I'm a little nutty like that.
    Been at this for nearly 50 years, it's still magic watching a print materialize in the developer tray!!!!!!!!!!
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Been at this for nearly 50 years, it's still magic watching a print materialize in the developer tray!!!!!!!!!!
    And so much better watching it materialize than watching a print roll off the printer.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Pinhole
    ...I love the smell of fixer in the morning!
    Look everyone, she's channeling Sarge!

Sarge is a H.S. friend of mine on the f/295 pinhole forum, he's the first one I heard use that phrase.

BTW, I lament the dearth of women in the forums too, I want to see more of you practicing this art form. Then again the forums may be so testosterone laden that they are keeping their distance.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: Arista Film from Freestylephoto

I think the mechanics of reading/posting fits the male brain better in some way that's not well understood.

All online stuff is mostly dominated by males unless it is a topic that is extremely female oriented.

So a gender specific topic will garner a gender based audiences, but a gender neutral topic will "usually" thin down to a males dominated group. I suspect exactly the opposite would occur if it were a face to face group like a community group of quilters.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    I want to be able to say as Thomas said "Look I Made It Without A Computer - #LIMIWAC" I'm sure you will agree watching the image magical appear in the developer tray is intoxicating even if it is all wrong. Well for me anyway. I'm guess I'm a little nutty like that.
    I remember the first time I saw a picture develop in the tray in my photo 1 class. It did seem almost magical. Just because we know how something works, doesn't mean its not magical or a miracle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by scheimfluger_77 View Post

Sarge is a H.S. friend of mine on the f/295 pinhole forum, he's the first one I heard use that phrase.

BTW, I lament the dearth of women in the forums too, I want to see more of you practicing this art form. Then again the forums may be so testosterone laden that they are keeping their distance.

Steve
    Oddly enough, there seems to be a larger proportion of women over at the large format forum, and I also note that Jenni is shooting 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I think the mechanics of reading/posting fits the male brain better in some way that's not well understood.

All online stuff is mostly dominated by males unless it is a topic that is extremely female oriented.

So a gender specific topic will garner a gender based audiences, but a gender neutral topic will "usually" thin down to a males dominated group. I suspect exactly the opposite would occur if it were a face to face group like a community group of quilters.
    Humm...dunno about that. The pilot forum I frequent most often has a lot of very active women posters. Considering the overwhelmingly large male demographic among private pilots it seems the women are more likely rather than less to post. I suspect the same thing in (analog - doubt this holds true in digital) photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mebbe the gals are too busy doin' it and don't need to talk about it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Oh! We're not going to admit that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Mebbe the gals are too busy doin' it and don't need to talk about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Steve
    Actually I was quoting the famous line from Apocalypse Now, it's Kilgore's quote "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" I love the lighting in that move some of the best lighting on the silver screen. I didn't love the movie though but I do use that quote for many different things. I'll bet you a dollar Sarge got the quote from the same movie.

I do notice one thing different, and this is only an observation I have seen. Women tend to photograph portraiture, while men are more apt to do nature and architecture. I could be wrong. But from what I can tell women want the human connection. I have not poked around ya'll galleries to see if I'm right but I'd wager on that too.

So back on track, thank you all for your advice and help with me troubles, Thank you very much I shall soon be a ninja in the darkroom .

Shooter
    35mm

Steve

H.S. ??
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin