Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,134   Posts: 1,613,735   Online: 956

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sandy,

"Still, she has always supported my photographic obsessions and just today informed me that my Christmas present is something photographic that was purchased from the family of a gentlemen who worked with Werner Von Braun as an engineer at NASA. I don't have any idea what the item may be other than that it is a camera of German origin and from the 60s, but since engineer types usually go for precision I am hoping for the best, say a Leica M3."

To me that sound much more like a Agfa Clack. ;-)

http://homepage.mac.com/mattdenton/p...gfa_clack.html
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr
    Sandy,

To me that sound much more like a Agfa Clack. ;-)

http://homepage.mac.com/mattdenton/p...gfa_clack.html
    Well, the gift did not turn out be to be the Leica M3 in mint condition that I had dreamed of, but it was not an Agfa Clack either!! It is a 35mm Nikon SLR , autoexposure but not autofocus, with two zoom Nikkor lenses, everything in Mint condition. Now I have to devise a strategy to use enough 35mm film to justify the gift.

Sandy

Images
    Use it for pictures of people and pets and small things. Carry it with you even when you are using a view camera. Potential pictures will arise spontaneously and be gone before you can set up the view. The view camera causes you to limit the number of shots you take. With 35 mm you can capture each slight nuance and sort them out later without worrying about wasting lots of money on film.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't be both kinds of photographer and still be artistic.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    I always carry a 35mm when shooting LF. When the big camera is set up and waiting for the light or some clouds to move into position, I run around shooting 35mm.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You might want to check your supply of Vitamin C. I had mixed up some PC-TEA, as well as some MC-TEA (used Metol while waiting for my phenidone to arrive) using vitamin C capsules I bought at a vitamin store as my source of vitamin C. In both cases, as soon as I added the C the solution turned a dark red color, and when the solution cooled it was VERY thick.

Tonight I mixed up some PC-TEA using Vit-C I got from The Chemistry Store http://www.thechemistrystore.com and it turned out a pale yellow in color as others have said theirs was, and seems to not be as thick as the other batches were (it's not totally cooled off, so I'm not real sure).

I had also found that using PC-TEA at the recommended 1:50 dilution wasn't working well for me, I started using 1:25 with the same times recommended for 1:50, so perhaps the C in the capsules wasn't as strong as it should have been, or something. I just got thru developing 6 shots of Plus-X (PXT) in the new batch for 8 minutes, and they look MUCH nicer than my previous attempts with PC-TEA and I see why a lot of folks like this developer!

-Mike Schiller
    Last edited by MikeS; 01-14-2005 at 12:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    I have recently learned that some Vitamin C may not be ascorbic acid, but dehydroascorbic acid. The difference to the body is that the dehydroascorbic acid more easily passes through cell walls as well as the brain blood barrier. The body converts it to ascorbic acid. After it has done its job as antioxidant it becomes dehydroascorbic acid and it excreted. Sounds weird, anf I may not have it exactly right, but the point is that dehydroascorbic acid is the end product in film developing and is no longer useful as there is nothing in these solutions that will regenerate it.

One person said the compound listed on the label of a bottle of Vitamin C tablets was C6H6O6. Ascorbic acid is C6H8O6. Either it or its mirror image, erythorbic acid, work in developers, but the erythorbic acid is not vitamin C.

Another form of Vitamin C that is popular now is ester-C. The bottle I have contains calcium ascorbate, which is a no-no because it is not very soluble in water and precipitates like h--l when carbonate is the alkali.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Isn't Sodium Ascorbate also considered "Vitamin C" - I use this chemical quite a bit as well both for alternative process developers and for MYTOL. I don't think it is interchangable ... wrong PH

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
    Isn't Sodium Ascorbate also considered "Vitamin C" - I use this chemical quite a bit as well both for alternative process developers and for MYTOL. I don't think it is interchangable ... wrong PH
    Yes. As long as it is the L-ascorbate it is vitamin C. If it D-ascorbate it has little or no value as vitamin C but works fine for developing. There may be a problem with dissolving it in glycol or TEA. I haven't tried. It also seems to oxidize more rapidly in powder form than the acid. It smells like brown sugar when it does.
    Gadget Gainer

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    You might want to check your supply of Vitamin C. I had mixed up some PC-TEA, as well as some MC-TEA (used Metol while waiting for my phenidone to arrive) using vitamin C capsules I bought at a vitamin store as my source of vitamin C. In both cases, as soon as I added the C the solution turned a dark red color, and when the solution cooled it was VERY thick.

-Mike Schiller
    I'm guessing that the Vitamin C in capsules either has some added ingredients to keep it in capsule form, or is, as you guessed, a different potency. It's better to get your Vitamin C (other than from the chemistry store, which is fine) from a health-food or natural-food store in a powdered or crystalline form. I've been doing this for years with good results. Sometimes, it may say that it has rose hips added, which in my experience, makes no difference. The rose hips are also powdered and sometimes precipitate out at the bottom of the developer as tiny bits, but with no discernible effect on the development process.

I bought two bottles of Vitamin C powder (with rose hips) before going to France ten years ago. Although I sometimes used HC-110 in the early years there, I've been concocting and using my own Gainer-inspired Phenidone, Vitamin C formula almost exclusiively for the past five or six years. I'm just now getting into the second bottle I purchased, and it's still working just fine.

Larry

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin