Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,466   Posts: 1,570,720   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    there are several recipes on the net to make your own.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle lists Xtol to make 5Ltr.

Currently Out of Stock
    Approximate delivery date from vendor: Sep 14, 2012

No mention of being discontinued.

I suspect they had a run on their stock after it had been reported Kodak is going out of business.

As Ralph say's, there are a number of formulas available to brew your own. In the past I've tried Paul Lewis's "Mytol" as found in Jacks Specs. I don't know how closely it compares to Xtol and it doesn't look much like Mark Overtons' (Albada/APUG) work with his version. But it did make negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is rare that every supplier in the country has no stock at all, which appears to be the current situation. This does lend some credence to the possibility that Xtol from Kodak is done.

Henry Posner, who speaks for B&H, replied to me in an email that, "Our buyer says he doesn’t expect to see Kodak brand Xtol ever again."

To me, that is a pretty strong statement coming from B&H, but the qualifier of the "Kodak brand" may lead some to read between the lines.

All I care is that this developer is available from somebody -- I do understand that it is not that difficult to prepare from scratch.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Interesting that D-76 is still available. Could just be massive amounts of stock. I'd expect D-76 and all Kodak chems to go. Good thing there's Ilford and ID-11.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd hate to lose T-Max RS but I suppose I can move to DD-X with no problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what it's worth, the Legacy Pro ECO PRO Ascorbic Acid developer behaves exactly like Xtol. I've been switching back between it and regular Kodak Xtol, using it both replenished and as diluted stock, and I get identical results in my prints.
    This is good to know in case you don't like to mix your own.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Unfortunately I think it's discontinued.
    I live in Italy. Today I've called the local pro shop to ask for some X-tol and they said that Kodak discontinued it.
    If the same news popped out on the other part of the world I think we must face the music.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok this kinda sucks. Time to stock up a bit.

Edit: Just bought 6 packs from calumet online through their amazon store which saves like $5 on shipping. Plus calumet customer service is hands down excellent if anything goes wrong.

Adorama still has it in stock as well. but their shipping rates are more expensive.
    Last edited by Newt_on_Swings; 09-13-2012 at 07:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe someone has connections inside Kodak and could dig up some facts here?
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See Thomas's post above. Who cares? If you like Xtol just get the Eco Pro stuff and be happy. The MSDSs may be different but if the results are the same it really doesn't matter.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin