Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,466   Online: 1180

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    See Thomas's post above. Who cares? If you like Xtol just get the Eco Pro stuff and be happy. The MSDSs may be different but if the results are the same it really doesn't matter.
    It's also cheaper by a few dollars. But if the real deal is still able to be bought why not? I'll get the freestyle version when I place my next order and compare it myself as well. It's good to know there is an alternative out there.

I wonder if this will go the way of rodinal as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I understand that. I buy the Kodak D76 because it's only very slightly more expensive. But I buy Legacy Pro brown toner because the Kodak is only sold in gallon sizes for something like $300 and hard to find at that (though I think others are similar.) I was buying the Kodak rapid fix, but changed to Legacy Pro for a related reason - the Kodak is only available in 1 gallon, which isn't large enough, and 25 gallons which is way too much. The Legacy Pro I can get in a good-for-me 5 gallon size, which is much cheaper than 5x1 gallon even including shipping, but isn't a "lifetime supply guaranteed to go bad before I'd use it" 25 gallon size.

I've suspected that some of the Legacy Pro stuff might be made by Champion anyway. I hope not, simply because if Kodak goes away or Champion stops making their stuff the LP might go away too. Still, there are alternatives for most things.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    See Thomas's post above. Who cares? If you like Xtol just get the Eco Pro stuff and be happy. The MSDSs may be different but if the results are the same it really doesn't matter.
    I was simply thinking about the amount of wasted time on speculations, could all be ended with one phone call by the right person.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Felinik View Post
    I was simply thinking about the amount of wasted time on speculations, could all be ended with one phone call by the right person.
    I was actually replying to the post above yours about stocking up, but didn't quote it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bascom49 View Post
    Microphen is what I'm thinking about for an Xtol equivalent.
    Microphen is not an equivalent to XTOL. It is quite different. Ilford doesn't currently have a real "equivalent" to XTOL. But there are apparently some commercially available clones out there, or you can more or less mix your own XTOL if it comes to that.

I'd also caution just because a developer contains or is based on ascorbic acid does not mean it is anything like XTOL in its working properties. Actually, it is probably more reasonable in any case to describe XTOL as a Phenidone (Dimezone) based developer.

It would be sad if XTOL is indeed going away. It is a fairly unique developer in its working properties.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know of only one clone -

"Legacy ECO-PRO Ascorbic Acid Powder B&W Film Developer" available from Freestyle.

Are there others?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While it would be sad to see such a popular dev go away, I wouldn't worry too much about developers. Every semidecent shop can cook up a similar developer and bring it to market. Look, how many tiny suppliers of film chemistry are out there! If Xtol really goes away, several of them will happily fill the void.

I'd worry about emulsions going away, not about film developers.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post

"Legacy ECO-PRO Ascorbic Acid Powder B&W Film Developer" available from Freestyle.

Are there others?
    Mytol - mix your own.

Mark Overton is working on a liquid concentrate version of it too. Search his posts here under the name 'albada'.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post

Are there others?
    See upthread - Fomadon Excel. Main limitation seems to be availability in only 1L size, for nearly as much money as the Kodak 5L.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe this topic should be moved to a more appropriate section of the forum.
    Anyway I've managed to grab three packs of Xtol just this morning. It seems the production is not halted, there are only some distribution hiccups...
    Last edited by Alessandro Serrao; 09-14-2012 at 04:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin