Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,962   Online: 1143

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been using the equivalent of Xtol from Freesytle- ECO Pro Ascorbic Acid Developer. Having great results with HP5 and FP4. Very fine grain in the negs.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just called Freestyle. The rep said that XTOL has not been discontinued, and that they're expecting another shipment on Sep 19.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This thread started when B&H dropped XTOL, saying it was discontinued by the manufacturer. That caused a small panic.
    Now XTOL is being sold again on their site, and listed as "in stock".
    It's anyone's guess what they were thinking. Perhaps it was a mistake, or merely a SKU-change.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by albada View Post
    ...B&H dropped XTOL, saying it was discontinued by the manufacturer...Now XTOL is being sold again on their site, and listed as "in stock"...Perhaps it was a mistake, or merely a SKU-change...
    There are 262 5-liter packages in stock at B&H as this is typed. No change in item number. Perhaps Kodak did move to a different supplier than Champion and just got in the first batch? Pure speculation.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bascom49 View Post
    I have heard that Ilford has an xtol equivalent. Might be microdol or perceptol.
    DD-X is probably the closest equivalent that Ilford makes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Suzuki DS-10 and DS-10X (from Silvergrain) are possibly better substitutes.

Suzuki DS-10 Fine grain developer

Water 700 ml
    Sodium sulfite (anh) 75 g
    Triethanolamins (99%) 10 ml
    Ascorbic acid 8 g
    Dimezone S 150 mg
    Salicylic acid 1 g
    Boric acid 4 g
    Water to make 1 l

Target pH (at 25C) = 8.00±0.05
    Replenish by bleed method at 120ml per 80 sq. in. of film processed.
    Ref: Suzuki, R., Seventy-six years of D-76”, silvergrain.org Technical notes
    http://web.archive.org/web/200707202...rain_developer

Variation (Suzuki DS-10X)
    Xtol- Mytol substitute
    The formula for Xtol was published in a Photo Techniques article by the two people who formulated it. It contained no chelating agent. Later Kodak added one which improved its stability. Sudden death is caused by the Fenton reaction which is catalysed by iron and coppr impurities in the water and also in the chemicals used to make Xtol. It can be very rapid causing the developer to lose activity in a few hours. The following developer contains two chelating agents salicylic acid and triethanolamine.

DS-10X Fine Grain Developer by Ryuji Suzuki

Dimezone S 150 mg
    Ascorbic acid 8.0 g
    Boric acid 2.0 g
    Salicylic acid 1.0 g
    Sodium sulfite (anh) 75 g
    Triethanolamine 10.0 ml
    Distilled water to male 1 l

Salicylic acid can be obtained from many pharmacies and is not expensive. All the other ingredients are available from companies that sell photo chemicals. Development times are comparable to those of Xtol. I have used this developer and it is very good producing results very similar to Xtol. Doubling the amount of boric acid will yield even finer gain. This version DS-10 requires a 20% increase in development times.
    Ref: APUG (Koch)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    what is the usage for the ds-10 or ds-10x..as in 1:1; 1:2 etc....I currently use xtol with Tmax400 1:2 semi-stand and would want to get similar results
    thanks in advance!!
    Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since I initiated the thread, I've emailed Henry Posner to seek a clarification. Myself, I laid in 5 packages from Calumet and 5 of the equivalent from Freestyle. So, at least I have my needs taken care of for a couple of years :-).

Obviously, if B&H responds, I will post that here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well im quite stocked up! Im happy that it didnt get discontinued! It goes pretty quickly when using it as a one shot 1:2 or even 1:1. Hopefully they figure out on that other thread a good working and stable formula for the concentrate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    what is the usage for the ds-10 or ds-10x..as in 1:1; 1:2 etc....I currently use xtol with Tmax400 1:2 semi-stand and would want to get similar results
    The active development ingredients of Xtol and DS-10 are fairly similar, the main difference is that DS-10 uses TEA and Salicylic Acid to protect the Ascorbic Acid while Xtol uses a sequestering agent (DTPA). From looking at the numbers, DS-10(X) looks more concentrated with regards to its development agents, so diluting DS-10(X) should work at least as well.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin