Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,633   Online: 737

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Xtol discontinued?

Xtol appears to be out of stock everywhere, and B&H is listing it as "discontinued."

I queried B&H by email and got a reply that, "Our buyer says he doesn’t expect to see Kodak brand Xtol ever again." Now, whether this means that there will be Champion brand Xtol or something else, that is completely unclear. Kodak sold off their photochemistry division to Champion some years ago, so the Kodak labeled Xtol hasn't actually been made by Kodak for quite some time. You would think that would also mean it would be unaffected by the bankruptcy.

Unknown to me (until today) was the fact that Freestyle distributes an Xtol clone under the LegacyPro brand (formerly Kentmere I believe).

I just ordered 5 packages to be sure I'm covered in the short term at least.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Freestyle's website says that a new delivery is expected around Sept 14 (in two days). Here's the link:
    http://freestylephoto.biz/8751752-Ko...o-Make-5-Liter

Mark Overton

Quote Originally Posted by Rolfe Tessem View Post
    Xtol appears to be out of stock everywhere, and B&H is listing it as "discontinued."

I queried B&H by email and got a reply that, "Our buyer says he doesn’t expect to see Kodak brand Xtol ever again." Now, whether this means that there will be Champion brand Xtol or something else, that is completely unclear. Kodak sold off their photochemistry division to Champion some years ago, so the Kodak labeled Xtol hasn't actually been made by Kodak for quite some time. You would think that would also mean it would be unaffected by the bankruptcy.

Unknown to me (until today) was the fact that Freestyle distributes an Xtol clone under the LegacyPro brand (formerly Kentmere I believe).

I just ordered 5 packages to be sure I'm covered in the short term at least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whew... Man it would suck if xtol was gone. It's one of my main developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have heard that Ilford has an xtol equivalent. Might be microdol or perceptol.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Microphen is what I'm thinking about for an Xtol equivalent.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Of course it's discontinued! I started using it, that's why!

Sometimes, the laws of causality make me wonder
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's already a thread on this under Product Availability:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...ying-xtol.html

Ilford DD-X is often suggested as an alternative but is probably more like T-Max developer than Xtol. There are other developers on the market that claim to be very similar, see the above thread. MSDSs may look different but that doesn't necessarily mean they will (or won't) work very differently. The Xtol formula, at least the approximate formula, is hardly a secret, see the bottom of this page:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/xtol/

For a scratch mixed developer said to produce negatives indistinguishable from Xtol:

http://www.jackspcs.com/mytol.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe Fomadon Excel is similar to Xtol. This is at least what one can read on the internet...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fomadon Excel is listed as an ascorbic acid developer so it is probably at least similar (and more likely closer than just similar) but as far as I see from a couple of sources checked is only available in 1 liter packs for $6. Not that outrageous but way more than people have been paying per liter for the Kodak 5L packs.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin