Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,229   Posts: 1,659,888   Online: 628

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Are paper speeds all about the same?

Are paper speeds from different manufacturers within a stop of exposure of each other? Specifically Fomatone MG classic 132 and Ilford MGIV matt. I'm doing an 11x14 print on the Fomatone. I had the exposure I wanted using 5x7 ilford but the Fomatone is much lighter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    no. you have to do tests. I know the rc and fiber based papers I use have different speeds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually most papers have ISO ratings like films, you can get very close "doing the math" just like with film.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AnselAdamsX View Post
    Are paper speeds from different manufacturers within a stop of exposure of each other? Specifically Fomatone MG classic 132 and Ilford MGIV matt. I'm doing an 11x14 print on the Fomatone. I had the exposure I wanted using 5x7 ilford but the Fomatone is much lighter.
    hi

15-20 years ago i did paper speed tests ..
    i had like 15 different rc and fiber papers ........

at that time at least, they had speed ratings, but
    they were not like or even similar to iso ratings of film ...
    they varied wildly from less then 1 ( gas light paper like azo
    to 10 or 12 ... i didn't believe it but photo emulsion chemists ( PE )
    have published here on apug that they have gotten speeds of asa 25 or 50
    for some papers ... it all depends on the paper . .... and your technique ...

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen as much as 3 stop difference just in small number of papers that I have here.
    Also, as paper age, contrast goes lower. I've seen some of my paper lose about 1/2 grade worth of contrast in 2 years or so.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    I only use 2 B&W papers, Ilford and Kentmere. It is very obvious to me that Kentmere is approx 1 stop faster than Ilford and also about a grade harder too. I can expose a 9.5x12 print with no filter with Kentmere and get a punchy print whilst with Ilford I will have to use at least a grade 3 to 3.5 filter to get the same approximation

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used both the mentioned Foma and Ilford Multigrade IV. As far as I remember, the Foma was much slower. You won┤t be able to avoid using some test strips...

Shooter
    35mm
    Most of the RC VC papers do list the ppaer speed on the data sheet, and the Kentmere is one stop faster than most of the others. with the multigrade filters there is a speed break where I think it is the 4 and 5 result in a need for 1 stop more expsure

Most packages of paper have a data sheet - it often falls out when digging for the first sheet of paper.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin