Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,415   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

moving chemicals

i have a problem and seek advise of those who have mastered this before. by the end of the year, i'm moving back to florida from germany. the moving company has been selected, and we agreed to have them pack, ship and unpack. now, they are resisting to pack any darkroom chemicals, due to their insurance restrictions as they claim. i believe thenm, but the issue remains. i need to ship about $500 of raw chemicals to yhe us. what can you suggest?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Negotiate and if their price isn't cost effective dump the chemicals and replace when in the USA.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ship them via FedEx either to your home address or to a friend who would deliver to your home.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check any import and hazmat restrictions in shipping and import.

Some chemicals need DEA documentation to purchase. It is highly likely there are also import regulations on those chemicals.

Given the cost of moving & shipping if $500 is all that is at stake I would give them away (or sell them) and restock here. There is too much potential hassle involved.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yikes. Moving companies (all of them) state that photo chemicals, fireworks, flammables, etc aren't to be loaded onto their trucks. I packed my own in vacuum sealed bags and failed to mention it to the movers. Everything arrived 2000+ miles away just fine. That wasn't overseas, however.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    yikes. Moving companies (all of them) state that photo chemicals, fireworks, flammables, etc aren't to be loaded onto their trucks. I packed my own in vacuum sealed bags and failed to mention it to the movers. Everything arrived 2000+ miles away just fine. That wasn't overseas, however.
    It has gotten tough to ship this stuff. I tried to ship an E6 kit and was told by FedEx, UPS, and the Post Office no. Takes a special license and a specal contract with the carrier to be able to send it.

The fedex guy told me that putting it in a different box and not declaring it could get me 7-years and a $200,000 fine.

Needless to say I did not ship it.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sell there and buy new here. Not worth the risk and not worth the hassle. Besides you could make another person very happy by gifting it to them and you know what goes around comes around.... you know pay it forward! Or just sell them... selling is good too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shipping chemicals has become insane. And there is no good reason for it.

For $500 I agree that you cannot save enough money on the import and export fees to be cost effective.

It's sad that our government has become so restrictive about things.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    It's sad that our government has become so restrictive about things.
    Freedom and security are mutually exclusive.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin