Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,251   Online: 992

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks a lot everyone. I might try the 5um filter first then have a look at the results. If it's only the final rinse of a film I'm using it for then I can just re rinse with distilled if I get marks right?

Although the rest of the house (apart from kitchen cold tap) is bore water, maybe I should use filtered rain for everything darkroom...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used roof-collected rain water in Comboyne, NSW...filtered out the big bits with a couple of filters used for milk. I was on a dairy farm -- developing 4x5's in trays in a no longer used house, so there were more larva, etc in the tank than down at the main house. I had to stop for awhile after mid-night when a thunderstorm moved through. I was not light-tight enough for lightning flashes! I was developing negatives from 5 months of bike-touring in NZ. I did not want to 'flash' any of them!

I mixed all my chemicals up with the cleaner water from the main house rainwater tank. The farm pumped from the creek for non-potable purposes.

Some of them came out okay...

Truman Cove, 1987
    West Coast, South Island, NZ

Tolaga Bay Wharf, 1986
    East Cape, North Island, NZ

Both 16x20 silver gelatin prints
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Truman Cove, NZ_16x20.jpg   Tolaga bay Wharf, NZ_16x20.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 09-16-2012 at 01:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What an extraordinary thread...
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In Bermuda, and a few other islands around the world, rainwater is all they have.
    If you have an older freezer that requires regular manual defrosting, the ice is
    frozen condensate...about the same as distilled/rain water...mineral free, anyway.
    Last edited by Marc B.; 09-16-2012 at 12:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Very nice Vaughn. Although our conditions may be a bit better than your abandoned farm house we do still get the odd wriggler in our drinking water. Tastes better than the bore water for the shower though!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    If you have an older freezer that requires regular manual defrosting, the ice is
    frozen condensate...about the same as distilled/rain water...mineral free, anyway.
    The so called distilled water from solar distiller is a joke, probably You are referring to it?
    Distilled water from steam distiller doesn't carry organic content, inorganic content (when passed through charcoal filter), gases, bacterias etc. etc.
    That's the closest to pure water, in the purest sense, and will guarantee constant results in the darkroom.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    It's a reasonable assumption that that happened plenty of times during operations in WWII (and I) for both Allied and Axis.
    Correct, the distilled water is the only military grade water.
    The Germans were the first to utilize distiller with a very high debit capacity in a submarine that was trapped during WWII.
    That how everybody else figured out the water factor and had their a-ha moment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    In Bermuda, and a few other islands around the world, rainwater is all they have..
    And everywhere else. Where else does tap water come from? (apart from de-salinisation plants!).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would like to add a question. I live in southern France, in a small village in the hills. All our water is ground water, which filters through about 300 metres of limestone. The stuff is crystal clear, and you can drink out of any of the 7 or 8 fountains in town. There is limestone in the water, it collects on the bottom of the kettle, white powdery scale that just rinses away with a good sloshing.
    Will this stuff get on my film? I'm just getting ready to develop my first rolls since being here, and I don't want to damage them. Maybe a final rinse in distilled?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    I would like to add a question. I live in southern France, in a small village in the hills. All our water is ground water, which filters through about 300 metres of limestone. The stuff is crystal clear, and you can drink out of any of the 7 or 8 fountains in town. There is limestone in the water, it collects on the bottom of the kettle, white powdery scale that just rinses away with a good sloshing. Will this stuff get on my film? I'm just getting ready to develop my first rolls since being here, and I don't want to damage them. Maybe a final rinse in distilled?
    The emulsion swell with chemicals + the junk there is in the water during dev, stop, fix and its questionable how well the distilled water would wash by itself. You might need an alkaline wash aid in the final rinse to make it more effective.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin