Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,254   Online: 965

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

filtered rainwater for distilled?

I'm just wondering if anyone has had good results using filtered rain water instead of distilled water for things like mixing with film developer (e.g. Adox Adotech) and final film washing? What size micron filter would be needed to remove visible/effective impurities - 5um, 0.5um?

Our water supply is rainwater so I was thinking it'd be a cheap, on-tap (literally) supply. We don't filter it for our consumption but I was thinking I could make a buy a filter for chemical mixing.

Hawthorn Oz, then MI USA from March 14, 2015!
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi harrygrey382.

I use nothing but filtered rainwater in the darkroom. My 3 filters are 10µm, 0.5µ and then one which takes out the heavy metals, from memory it is carbon based and not fibre. Can never remember the details of what that one is. I use the heavy metal filter as there is a lot, I mean a lot, of lead on our roof.

I mix my developers from scratch and have not had any concerns at all.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Great to hear thanks Andy. Our roof is colour bond and we're pretty rural so I doubt I need to worry about heavy metals? I was planning on making my own housing and using fuel filters would be easiest. But the finest I can find is 5um, do you think the 0.5 is really needed. I can buy the elements no worries but I don't have a good resource of housings for them...

Hawthorn Oz, then MI USA from March 14, 2015!
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am only a hobbyist in the darkroom so some things I do might make others cringe, but prior to using the filters I used only a 25µm irrigation filter to take out the lichen and big grit. The results I got over 6 years were fine for my needs. No scratching or abrasion that I could tell.In saying that last June I used water straight from the Murray River to develop some rolls of film. I would not recommend it if your life depended on the resulting pictures, but I was happy with the results from the frames I could use.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxleyroad View Post
    I would not recommend it if your life depended on the resulting pictures
    That doesn't often happen. Probably has never happened!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is another supply of distilled water that can be used so long as you have a clothes dryer which condenses out the water during the cycle. I use mine to top up batteries and for a final rinse when developing films. It does have to be filtered because it collects small fibres bit it is distilled and pure otherwise

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Steve.
    Perhaps not in real life, but it might make an interesting book or movie plot. A once-beautiful but now aging model (played by Ellen Barkin) hires obscure but up and coming young photographers to capture what she is convinced is her lasting beauty. When their photographs of her do not meet her expectations, they meet grisly ends. One is found clubbed to death with his blood-spattered Hasselblad lying nearby, still attached to its tripod. Another is found dead in her long-disused darkroom where she was trapped and left to die with nothing to drink but expired pyro developer...

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check the pH. Australia may be OK, but much of the rest of the world still suffers from acid rain.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use distilled water to mix my Pyro, I use tank water for everything else. I have a paper/poly filter first, this is to clear the water, the a ceramic charcoal filter to remove most junk from it, I process B/W C41 & E6 my results are great. There are pump and irrigation shops that sell filters, Davey have their own now. I replace the cartridges every few months. I use this water in the house for the dishwater toilet and washing machine. Since doing so the clothes and dishes are much better. I have had no issues.
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Steve.
    It's a reasonable assumption that that happened plenty of times during operations in WWII (and I) for both Allied and Axis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin