Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,481   Online: 889

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    This section is worse than my cluttered teacher's desk at school, with five stickies!at the top.
    I hope stickies are just a fad.
    Five stickies!!!!! oh no. time to declare the war on stickies!!!!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You should look at the forum for Silver Gelatin Based Emulsion Making & Coating.
    13 stickies!
    Only 5? We're not even halfway there.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by scheimfluger_77 View Post
    I dunno, there's an awful lot of good info there.
    There's also a lot of good info in the Bible. Are we going to sticky that too?
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format

Five stickies and it is a lot?!!! What about 15 stickies?

How about creating a section called "Sticky posts"?

The stickies here are not that many as you think, i saw much worse and more numbers of stickies on another sites, here is good suited and important ones, i never felt to complain about it here, but you have a point of something, i respect it.

Shooter
    35mm
    If the Stickies fill too much screen real-estate (which they probably do if I'm on the netbook computer) how about a sub-forum in each forum for "FAQ" topics, linked via one post at the top of the page -- in other words the information which is useful to answer Frequently Asked Questions for each area of discussion is only two clicks away ?? This is traditionally the way of dealing with the same situation in software-development discussions and seems to work reasonably well.

It is even possible, though depends on the site-software, to have a short and constantly updated list of the titles of the most read individual posts in the FAQ section, a sort of top-five current topics within the section.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Add a few more stickies and delete this thread!

Seriously, I like the stickies for such topics as they are used. Not only do they keep frequent topics at the top of the page, but they collect most of the relevant information in one thread so I (we) don't have to use the (sucky) search function and read through multiple threads to get our questions answered. And, I'm sure they do keep many repeat threads from being started.

So, bring on the stickies.

Best

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the stickies (5 is too many??) for all the reasons stated.
    A separate section would need to be sub-divided, etc. At least with them like they are, you know that all the stickies in a forum are of that scope.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why not take out the 5 (rather arbitrary) stickies and have a single link to a FAQ page containing all the stickies to your heart's content?
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 09-17-2012 at 08:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    Should be one sticky link (or even button off to upper right, etc) to a whole page with sticky topics.
    This might work if short version of the individual Thread Titles was visible in the "Sticky" thread title.

That being said, I have a feeling that the OP is using the individual forum pages to navigate, rather than the "New Posts" function.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin