Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,529   Posts: 1,598,524   Online: 1072

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Adox Fine Print Vario Classic discontinued!!!!!!!!

Not sure if this has been flagged up on this site but Adox Fine Print Vario Classic has been discontinued.

I am totally shocked and surprised. For me this is a tragedy as it is a fantastic paper at a price that I can afford.

The Adox website indicates that sales of FPVC were falling because printers are switching to MCC. Not only do I find that hard to believe but also MCC is absolutely no substitute for FPVC as it lacks the micro-contrast and is 25€ per 25 sheet 30 x 40cm pack dearer.

Or to put it another way 1€ PER SHEET dearer!!!! for, in my opinion and my way of working, an inferior result.

If you are out there Mirko, I understand that maintaining the range of sizes could be a problem but why need keep the paper available in a few popular sizes (for example 30 x 40cm which can also be cut in half when printing 35mm negatives). Adox Fine Print Vario Classic Glossy is an outstanding product which should not be allowed to die.

How about asking people on this forum which sizes they would continue to buy and maintain production of the three most popular sizes.

If there is really no way of maintaining availability of FPVC, I am sorry but I simply can't afford such a price and will have to switch to a more affordable equivalent product from Foma.

Are there others out there who do not want to loose this fantastic paper??

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rather old news, there's more than one thread on the demise of coating at EFKE - Fotokemie.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Allen View Post
    I, for one, don't want to lose it, but can't do much about it. Adox vario classic was Efke Varycon, made by Fotokemika. They quit coating a while ago.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Allen View Post
    Not sure if this has been flagged up on this site but Adox Fine Print Vario Classic has been discontinued.

I am totally shocked and surprised. For me this is a tragedy as it is a fantastic paper at a price that I can afford.

The Adox website indicates that sales of FPVC were falling because printers are switching to MCC. Not only do I find that hard to believe but also MCC is absolutely no substitute for FPVC as it lacks the micro-contrast and is 25€ per 25 sheet 30 x 40cm pack dearer.

Or to put it another way 1€ PER SHEET dearer!!!! for, in my opinion and my way of working, an inferior result.

If you are out there Mirko, I understand that maintaining the range of sizes could be a problem but why need keep the paper available in a few popular sizes (for example 30 x 40cm which can also be cut in half when printing 35mm negatives). Adox Fine Print Vario Classic Glossy is an outstanding product which should not be allowed to die.

How about asking people on this forum which sizes they would continue to buy and maintain production of the three most popular sizes.

If there is really no way of maintaining availability of FPVC, I am sorry but I simply can't afford such a price and will have to switch to a more affordable equivalent product from Foma.

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de

ADOX Vario Classic and Nuance are both Fotokemika papers.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...otokemika.html

ADOX Polywarmtone will be much better warmtone-paper than Vario Classic:

http://www.polywarmton.com/page5/page5.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    @Bundesphotograph: Vario Classic was a neutral/cold tone paper.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I had assumed that the paper was made in Germany because the Adox website states "Low production volumes and the increase in raw materials and energy costs have affected the production of Vario Classic and Nunace in a way that it cannot be kept up with a profit anymore. We therefore decided to stop the production of these two papers."

Presumably, the emulsion could be coated at Bad Saarow??

As Miha states, FPVC is a cold tone paper. I used to love Polywarmtone for it's tones and used to process it to obtain neutral tones.

Whenever Polywarmtone comes on the market it will be a premium paper and will also be expensive "By the time we are ready to sell the paper the price will be much higher then what it was when Forte still produced it all in house".

Anyone out there have experience of using Fomabrom Variant 111 glossy and Kentmere FPVC Fiber 1K Glossy both of which retail at about the same price as Adox FPVC did.

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin