Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,607   Online: 1284

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Affordable replacement for Adox Fine Print Vario Classic

With the demise of Adox Fine Print Vario Classic (my paper of choice for a long time now) I need to find an affordable replacement.

I have tried Adox MCC which is good but lacked the micro contrast of FPVC and is 1€ per sheet dearer!

For a similar price to FPVC I have the option here in Berlin of either Kentmere Fineprint FBVC or Foma Variant III.

Anyone got in-depth experience of using either of these papers?

Many thanks.

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    35mm
    My personal preference is Kentmere fibre base. Good solid blacks with a pure white base. Although made by Ilford now they are different as chalk and cheese. The Kentmere version being cheaper (in UK anyway) They also make a resin coated paper and I believe a warm tone one too.m

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both these papers give cold tones especially when developed in the likes of Tetenal Eukobrom or D72. Kentmere is perhaps a little faster than the Adox and does not need to be used under a dark red safelight.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sofar I like the Adox Fine Print Variotone Warmtone Fibre Base Paper. It has a white base and when developed in Ilford Multigrade developer, it seems more a neutral paper than a warmtone paper which suits me fine. I experimented a bit with developers and Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner (KRST);
    - In Harman Warmtone developer and KRST 1+9 5 min, it produces a nice warm red/brownish tone.
    - Just the Harman Warmtone developer gives a more greenish tint which disappears in KRST 1+29 8 min. The remaining tone is neutral again.
    - Ilford Multigrade developer and KRST 1+9 remains pretty neutral in tone, maybe slightly warm.

I haven't used the Fine Print Vario Classic or Adox MCC so I can't say how they all compare.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin