Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,191   Online: 1180

Shooter
    35mm

Rollei IR 400 and commercial processing

I am getting ready to order some more E-6 from B&H, and was going to tack on a couple rolls of the Rollei IR 400 film to my order. I checked with my local camera shop (Peoria Camera Shop, who typically turn B&W around in 4 days) to see if they can develop B&W IR film, and they told me they can't do the IR film.

Should I try to send it through their line anyway, or find somewhere else to do it? I've not loaded a film reel before and hesitate to invest in the chemistry and equipment to do it myself if I end up trying it and it ends up being a total flop. I normally shoot color (slide), and not much B&W, but the B&W IR photos I've seen are AMAZING, and I think I would like it if I ever figured out the exposure.

I don't have a darkroom, but I should be able to get prints locally once the film is developed, even if it ends up being a hybrid process.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Interesting. There's nothing special about processing it, just be sure you give it enough exposure with your infrared filter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Would IR LEDs in the processor fog the film, is that why they won't run it? I know it can be run in ordinary B&W chemistry, I've just never done any darkroom work besides paper negatives (and contact prints from them) in trays so am rather inexperienced in the darkroom, having been spoiled by fairly easy access to labs even if it takes 'em a while to get it processed and back to me.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your lab may be equating the Rollei (near) IR film with the old Kodak HIE, which had to be handled quite carefully, due to the extent of its IR sensitivity.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    So the Rollei IR 400 should be okay even if they have the IR lights on to see what they're doing in the dark then?
    ME Super

Shoot more film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    So the Rollei IR 400 should be okay even if they have the IR lights on to see what they're doing in the dark then?
    Not necessarily - depends on the IR lights .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    OK well I don't think I'm going to push the button and order the IR film this time. I'll gradually build up what I need to process B&W here at home and then I'll go for the IR 400 by spring. Darn budget! It won't budge! So instead of ordering the IR 400 to go with my Provia, I'm gonna order the Rollei CR 200 to go with it instead. I have an itch to try something new.
    Last edited by ME Super; 09-15-2012 at 11:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.

Shooter
    35mm

Update

I have found someplace that will process the Rollei IR 400 (infrared) film, so long as it's clearly marked on the envelope that it's an IR film. A representative from the St. Louis, MO based chain of camera stores, Creve Coeur Camera, has informed me that they can develop it, so long as they know what it is. So I will be getting the things I need to shoot IR film over the winter and trying out the IR film in the spring. I have to wait because I just spent $50 on film from B&H and the wife will kill me if I send out another big order of photography stuff this close to the last order.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin