Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,923   Posts: 1,585,001   Online: 1134

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Research and Development of film

I was looking through my Freestyle catalog, and it got me to wondering if there was any ongoing research and development of new film emulsions? My own feelings are that if there is, its very little. I seriously doubt Kodak is right now with the bankruptcy, Ilford might be,Fuji again might be, I suspect ADOX is out of necessity. I have no idea about Lucky. That's my take on it, any other feelings or observations?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why really.. The film from Kodak/Ilford/Fuji is absolutely awesome. It needs marketing to develop new customer bases more than new products.

Then when there is a healthier market, it might be worthwhile to make some new stuff.

New55 has been a new film product, but it's not new film, but rather a new system. It a cool product in need of a customer base.

Ilford has come out with the newish art300 paper, which is fabulous, and their positive paper, and their pinhole camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The answer to the OP is NO! No research. A tiny bit of development is going on to update a few products as we see in the new archival MP Print film. Otherwise none.

Even TIP is not really research, just a bit of development to restart the instant products. The development portion is to replace old chemistry with new chemistry.

Even Ilford is pretty much restricted to development.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right now, probably not. About six years ago I talked to someone associated with the Fuji R&D lab, I thought they would be doing only color, be he said a little bit of B&W development was going on, too. He carefully did not say for what.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I talked to Tadeki Tani head of the Fuji labs, and there is little I could see going on there in 2006.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I could care less about development, as long as production continues!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    We have two areas of R&D, pure R&D and manufacturing R&D.

HARMAN R&D have a wide range of active projects in hand, whilst some are inkjet related most are related to silver but they are not primarily photo related. eg Silver as a antimicrobial agent.

Manufacturing R&D work on the development, maintenance and improvement of the products and the manuacturing process, primarily in relation to raw materials, much has been made of various raw materials no longer being made or in volumes not required, if that happens you have to source and specify other products, or indeed make them yourself, we now do a significant amount of this.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology LImited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    ...much has been made of various raw materials no longer being made or in volumes not required, if that happens you have to source and specify other products, or indeed make them yourself, we now do a significant amount of this...
    HARMAN doing this and Simon openly posting about it are the two big reasons why, whenever and wherever appropriate, one should advise anyone listening to SUPPORT ILFORD!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I DO support Ilford. As well as Adox and Foma (through Freestyle's Arista EDU film) and Kodak color and black and white products. I think we all do. But I was supporting Efke as well and look where they ended up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I DO support Ilford...But I was supporting Efke as well and look where they ended up.
    I did not and would not advise anyone to support a less than first-tier quality manufacturer. Fotokemika quality was anything but first tier.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin