Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,828   Online: 985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Underexposed by 4 stops.. Can i save the roll?

I grabbed a back for my RZ67 and the speed dial was set at 400 so i thought it was my last roll of Tmax 400 that i left in it but when i opened the back there was a roll of Adox CHS25 in it.. Can i save this roll? I metered every shot at 400 so i underexposed it by 4 stops.. I only have Rodinal and i always use it 1+25 for 4 minutes. Is there a percentage of time that i can ad per stop during developing? Thanks

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Did you spotmeter and place your shadows on Zone IV? In other words, are you likely to have given generous exposure to the film?

If not, then you will likely not get much image at all with any ordinary processing.

So develop it "for a very long time" and you may get something recognizable, possibly some interesting graphic images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only measured for ambient light.. I expecting some high contrast negs that i could scan but i dont think i will get anything that i could print..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found this scale on digital truth for pushing... 1 stop push = (x1.5) 2 stop push = (x2.25) 3 stop push = (x4.5) If im correct a 4 stop push will be (x9.0)? That would give me a development time of 36 minutes in Rodinal at 1+25.. Does that sound about right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you only have Rodinal I'd suggest a weaker dilution such as 1+100 (or weaker) and reduced agitation (example: 1 minute initial agitation followed by 10 seconds every three minutes) for something like twice the normal developing time for that dilution). The idea would be to maximize development in the shadows while restraining the highlights somewhat. Not much to lose by trying that since there is probably not much to be done with this roll anyway. That pushing scale looks pretty silly to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would Diafine work OK for this application?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since you have Rodinal, I would suggest stand development, say 1+100 for about 2 hours. Agitate at 1 minute, 5 minutes, 20 minutes and 1 hour. I wouldn't get my hopes up much for good results though.

If you do a simple push by time extension without reducing agitation, you will end up with extremely high contrast and still no shadow detail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The short answer is no, at least not to get anything good. Pushing for more than two stops is not usually worth the effort, but you might try. Expect very high contrast and no shadow detail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    If you only have Rodinal I'd suggest a weaker dilution such as 1+100 (or weaker) and reduced agitation (example: 1 minute initial agitation followed by 10 seconds every three minutes) for something like twice the normal developing time for that dilution). The idea would be to maximize development in the shadows while restraining the highlights somewhat. Not much to lose by trying that since there is probably not much to be done with this roll anyway. That pushing scale looks pretty silly to me.
    This is roughly what I would recommend too.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Thanks.. I will give this a shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin