Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,667   Online: 1142

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    As I said in my initial post, this is only on the first dozen frames. The rest of the roll is fine. The image frames themselves are fine.
    I have no light leaks on any other rolls that have gone through this camera (a Bessa R2A) in the last 6 months.

I am satisfied that it is best explained by the suggestion that it is due to use of plastic spirals holding the film edges in such a way so as not to allow developer/fixer to reach the emulsion.
    If the fixer was not reaching the emulsion, you should see a distinct colour cast on the markings.

The frame areas next to the markings seem to have a slight additional density, from what I can see in your attachement, this could be caused by the slight additional exposure those areas received.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    35mm
    POLYESTER BASED FILM. Which will pipe light like crazy and the light comes out near the perfs. If the pictures are fine it is not a problem. You have to load all Poly films in very subdued light, not just in your shadow but away from the sun.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i suspect some exposure through light piping while the film was still in it's canister.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well this has all taken on a life of it's own ...

loaded in subdued light. unloaded in subdued light. spiral loaded in light tight darkroom. tank secured in light tight darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wrap the camera back and bottom with dark tape, shoot another roll in bright light, if is ok, then its the camera.
    I have isolated issues same like Yours but with ltm Leicas, most of the times its not properly set light shields in the shutter cage (IIIc) or loosen curtains that let light leak through the gate.
    In Your case with the CV Bessa its hardly a shutter related leak.. probably is the back, but everything is possible..
    I am not familiar with the construction of the CV Bessas, somebody else might be aware of the source.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do appreciate that people are still taking the time and trouble to offer suggestions.

I guess the difficulty I have in subscribing to the "light leak theory" is that no other film I have ever used in this camera has shown similar problems; if there were such a problem, I'd expect to have been manifest before, and I would also have expected an issue with the entire reel. I would also rather have expected that the actual image areas would show evidence of a leak.

As it is, it's the first 9 frames only, all image areas are OK, and the explanation given to me regarding the spiral edges seems to fit well.

However, of course, as georg16nik says ... "everything is possible"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I guess the difficulty I have in subscribing to the "light leak theory" is that no other film I have ever used in this camera has shown similar problems; if there were such a problem, I'd expect to have been manifest before, and I would also have expected an issue with the entire reel.
    If the canister/cassette were the source of a minor leak, the entire roll should not be affected, just the outer or innermost section, which is what led me to think of it in your case.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I had an old Yashica rangefinder camera that did this on one side only, and I eventually figured out the cause. Notice that the light leaks are (1) have sharp edges, and (2) look like projections of the plastic surrounding the sprockets. In my Yashica, when the camera was angled correctly, light would sneak past the rewind-release button on the bottom, in the inside mechanism, and bounce out of the gap between sprocket and surrounding metal. In your case, I suspect light was entering the lens at the correct angle, sneaking over and coming out the sprocket/surround gap. That would explain why it's only on a few frames, and why it looks like fogging and not lack of development. Look again at the areas around the sprocket holes: Those were caused by sharp-edged light hitting the film. I think that could only be due to light coming through the sprocket-cutout in the camera.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the Adox web site, CHS 35mm and 120 films are coated onto clear 100 micron PET. Light piping is a definite possibility. This film should always be loaded in subdued light.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin