Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,560,997   Online: 1111

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Development problem? - Comments requested please

Please have a look at the attached image. You'll immediately see the dark streaked edges and sprocket holes.

This is Adox CHS 25, exposed at box speed, and developed in Adox APH09, 1+50 (6ml+300ml), 8 min @ 20C; Paterson single reel tank, 30 seconds initial - gentle - inversions then one gentle inversion every 30 seconds. Water stop, Ilford Rapid Fix 4 minutes, then Ilford wash regime.

Only the first 9 frames or so show these markings, the rest of the reel looks fine.

I will add that this roll was "sticky" going on to the developing spiral - I had to "inch" the last part of the roll on in small increments lest it jam. The image show the beginning of the reel, thus is deepest into the spiral

I am presuming that this is a problem of insufficient developer reaching these parts of the emulsion, but I am unclear how this might have come about. Is it because the film has buckled against the spiral grooves as it has jammed slightly (the marking is quite regular as you can see) - forcing it to "bunch up" ?

Could those with greater knowledge and experience comment please?

many thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like fogging/light piping to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks.
    It's been suggested to me that it is due to the film edges adhering to the spiral grooves thus not allowing developer to reach the emulsion, and that this is not too unommon with the use of plastic reels.
    That explanation seems to fit the circumstances nicely

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What colour are the dark streaked edges and sprocket holes?

I ask, because if they are exactly the same colour as the image area, they are one thing, but if they are the same colour as undeveloped film, they are another.

Generally speaking, if there are dark marks on a negative then there has either been a light leak or those marks represent where the negative has received too much development.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    same colour as the image area Matt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could be light leakage through the shutter gate.
    Also, switching lenses in bright sun might cause such thing, in some RF cams.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would agree with others, it seems like a light leak to me. It might be while the film is still in the cassette: do the distances between the darkest sections decrease as you reach the last frame on the roll?
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I said in my initial post, this is only on the first dozen frames. The rest of the roll is fine. The image frames themselves are fine.
    I have no light leaks on any other rolls that have gone through this camera (a Bessa R2A) in the last 6 months.

I am satisfied that it is best explained by the suggestion that it is due to use of plastic spirals holding the film edges in such a way so as not to allow developer/fixer to reach the emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    imho, such patterns are not spiral related.
    Its cartidge, camera related. thou bessa r2a got double focal plane shutter...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps there was some developer residue on the reel before loading.

But most likely there was a problem with the film cassette that permitted a light leak.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin