Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,207   Online: 987

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Unfortunately, Galerie is pricy. What happens when KRST is warmed to 85. I assume it tones faster.
    RJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    Oh yes, I do remember trying MGIV Matte. As mentioned, it had charcoal like accents. It looked good with high key images.
    Dead matte papers look great behind glass because you only get one reflection, whereas with glossy papers you'll get two. Glass also increases the apparent dmax and contrast of the print, but you'll lose the charcoal drawing look.

IMO, its a shame that Ilford doesn't make Galerie in matte any longer, but Multigrade IV is really nice toned in selenium if you like cool blue-black tones, and it does split-tone nicely in sulphide/selenium providing you either sulphide-tone first, or you have a very good eye to catch the subtle change in selenium before it reaches the higher mid-tones. Selenium does 'cool' the sulphide toner though, i don't know why.

Matte MGIV FB also seems more susceptible to damage from poor handling, uneven drying etc; that said, treated properly you probably won't notice any problem - just don't let water pool on the surface as it dries!

Cheers,
    kevs
    Last edited by kevs; 10-11-2012 at 09:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    testing...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Dead matte papers look great behind glass because you only get one reflection, whereas with glossy papers you'll get two. Glass also increases the apparent dmax and contrast of the print, but you'll lose the charcoal drawing look.
    Paul Strand was famous for varnishing his matt prints for added brilliance.

http://www.photoquotes.com/ShowQuote...me=Strand,Paul

While categorized as a glossy paper Galerie is less so. Galerie's paper support tint is not as bright-white as ADOX Fine Print Variotone Premium VC FB Warmtone. The image tone is just slightly warmer than MGIV fiber. The paper surface is attractive and smooth.

What happens if you lightly tone Galerie in Agfa Varadon? Is Varadon still available? I have read Varadon is a polysulfide toner so there may be something commercially similar if Varadon is not produced.

Where I'm going with my toning question is the possibility of using Galerie and introducing a hint of tonal complexity warmer than selenium toning without obvious tints of pink, red, green, yellow.

This link may be useful to folks

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Paper/paper.html
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 10-12-2012 at 01:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    Unfortunately, Galerie is pricy. What happens when KRST is warmed to 85. I assume it tones faster.
    That's correct. Faster.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin