Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,702   Online: 943

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by albada View Post
    Thomas, I suspect that the flare from the uncoated lens has the effect of pre-flashing your film. The extra light biases the shadow-exposure upwards a little, lifting the shadows out of the toe, which in effect boosts speed.

Mark Overton
    My experience is that some lenses 1930's/40's age badly they used newer optical glasses which suffers from aging. It affects mainly Zeiss and Leitz optics and only a few fast designs. So f2 Summars, f3.5 Tessars, Novars in my case but it's a wide spread issue.

Ian

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    no adjustment! a typical exposure and development process has more variation than the difference in lens coating accounts for. Therefore,there is nothing that warrants an adjustment, because, it would be like chasing wind mills!
    Last edited by RalphLambrecht; 09-21-2012 at 05:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I notice a higher film speed with older lenses. Probably due to flare. If I shoot with my Voigtlander Nokton on the Leica, or my Hasselblad, I shoot Tri-X at 200. When I use the Summitar on the Leica, I get a full EI 400 out of Tri-X and in my prints I get a similar amount of shadow detail this way. I'm not sure that this is scientifically correct, but it sure helps for consistency from print to print.

Naturally I also develop the Summitar negatives longer, due to lower contrast overall and to compensate for the exposure.

- Thomas
    This is what I suspected looking at my negatives... Shadows are not deep as they should and the contrast is not so dynamic. So increasing slightly the IE and developing a little longer would make sense.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Uncoated lens and BW film development

Never understood the deal with buying the newer lenses that were uncoated. Aren't most contrast filters coated anyway?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    no adjustment! a typical exposure and development process has more variation than the difference in lens coating accounts for (...)
    In addition, I think it's more a matter of contrast than a matter of coating: the contrast of two recent multi-coated lenses by the same manufacturer such as Zeiss Sonnar 1.5 and Planar f/2 may be quite different. Also the contrast of old uncoated lenses such as Hektor and Elmar.

As a matter of fact, I wonder if the differences of contrast are only differences of contrast: with my low-contrast uncoated Summar of 1935 there is an obvious additionnal exposure in the shadows compared to my Summicron of 1982 (internal diffraction, I guess). As a result, there is something like a 1/3-1/2 stop increase in speed with the Summar. Sometimes (not always), I see the same difference between my "old" Nikkkor 1.4/58mm (single-coated) of 1959 and the recent and very contrasty Nikkor 1.8/50mm. It's not a real speed increase because there is no additionnal exposure in flat overcast light, but it can make a real difference when I use alernatively old and recent lenses on the same film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are using a lens with a lot of flare and don't increase your film development time or print on a harder contrast paper, you will have dark-gray blacks and light-gray whites. However, maybe that is what you want.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    It can make a difference because of the light bouncing around between the uncoated elements.
    I expose a little, maybe 1/6 stop, less and develop a little more, about 10%, with the old lenses, of which I have a good many. Development is usually by inspection so I don't always record times.

I also do 1/6 th of a stop less. Unfortunately, my exposure time must then be of 1 day, so that I can dial in 1/6th of a stop on my camera....

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    in addition, more contrst is a subjective preference, because, it increases apparent sharpness.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Uncoated lens and BW film development

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If you are using a lens with a lot of flare and don't increase your film development time or print on a harder contrast paper, you will have dark-gray blacks and light-gray whites. However, maybe that is what you want.
    That's my experience too. Just judging visually from my prints.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin