Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,957   Online: 759

Shooter
    35mm

first time developing question

Hi everyone,
    I'm about to develop my very first roll, a 35mm Foma 100 in R09 One Shot.

Just wanted to check with you guys:

1+50 dilution for a 290ml tank would mean 5.7ml R09 + 284.3ml water.
    Film was shot at iso 100, light measured with a Minolta light meter, so exposure should be spot on.
    9 minutes in developer, with agitation first 30 seconds then 4 times each minute. (massive dev chart + bottle gives 8-9 minutes, "film dev times" app and other online guys - 10:30 minutes)

No stop bath, perhaps some vinegar?

Fixer - Fomafix, 3 minutes (prepare just 290ml and use it for just 3 rolls in 1-2 months or do the whole bottle - 3 litre working solution and use it for 30 rolls as per instructions, but 30 rolls would mean more than a year for me as I shot mostly color)

Tank would be a Paterson system 3, that comes with agitation rod, should I use inverse mode agitation, or stick to the agitation rod?

Increasing developing times means overexposure and shorter dev times - underexposure.

More agitation - more contrast and shorter dev times, less agitation - less contrast and longer dev times.

Do I have it right?

Thanks,
    Sorin

Shooter
    35mm
    You don't say what the developer is. But by the dilutions you quote I would say Rodinal at a guess. If it is, you do inversion agitation for 30 seconds then 1 inversion every minute, not 4. (Original Agfa instructions)

Forget vinegar, plain water would be enough.

Use inversion agitation only. Throw away the rotation rod, use that and you run the risk of the film coming off the spiral. (Don't ask me how I know!)
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 09-23-2012 at 04:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @BMbikerider he said R09 (which is indeed a Rodinal)

I also have used Rodinal + Foma 100.
    I round it up to 300ml to make measuring easier, and found 7'30" enough at 20C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    6ml + 300ml ~ 1+50

Develop according to manufacturers recommendations.

Incident meter the shadows @EI 100 and shoot for Fomapan 100.
    Last edited by baachitraka; 09-24-2012 at 08:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You're meant to have 10mL of concentrate per roll; 6mL will work but is on the low side so you risk developer exhaustion (flat highlights). Better to use 10+490mL assuming its a 2-roll tank.

The other issue is that Foma100 is really only good for about EI50 so you may have some loss of shadow detail, especially when using Rodinal, which is speed-reducing unless you do stand development. So don't be surprised if your shadows are thin or entirely missing.

Fixer will keep a long time, but you lose some to carryover at each use. I would recommend making up 500mL, which is good for 10 rolls.

The FAQ link in my signature should be helpful for you.
    Last edited by polyglot; 09-24-2012 at 08:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin