Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,643   Online: 1184

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All reeels pick up gelatin with time, a good warm wash gets rid of it, use a toothbrush to clen around the ball bearing area.

As for the comment "This to me is usually a sign to get new reels." thats just not the case, I'm still using reels bought in the 1960's and they had heavy commercial use as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plastic reels are pretty indestructible, they don't warp or bend on you like steel reels, especially if you drop them. But you have to get a good brand from the start or they will constantly be a hassle.The patterson reels are probably the smoothest, and the ones I use most.

You can remove the ball bearing, but it will slow your loading down. You will have to push your film in with your hands the whole way, instead of using the designed ratcheting action, which is much faster.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks! never heard the pencil trick. Will try that. Also will put the reels in the dishwasher . I bought several steel reels but could
    never get the hang of them. Buying Patterson reels now. Last order from Adorama sent the 'skinny' starting flanges tho, i like the
    THICK big flanges so maybe they changed the style. (You can't tell in the pic online)
    Was using a metal dental hook to move the balls before loading, works good but some stick so thnk its hard water (in SoCal). ez

Shooter
    Medium Format
    > You will have to push your film in with your hands the whole way, instead of using the designed ratcheting action, which is much faster.

You can learn to do that fast too. I always remove the balls. I like most the AP reels. Theri most disadvantage are tiny air bubbles in the fixer: You should tilt over the tank some times during fixing.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Plastic reels are pretty indestructible, they don't warp or bend on you like steel reels, especially if you drop them. But you have to get a good brand from the start or they will constantly be a hassle.The patterson reels are probably the smoothest, and the ones I use most.

You can remove the ball bearing, but it will slow your loading down. You will have to push your film in with your hands the whole way, instead of using the designed ratcheting action, which is much faster.
    You don't have to push. You twist with the same action but hold the film with the fingers of the hand moving forward. It's not one bit slower than with the balls. I find the Jobos the easiest reels to load that I've ever used, and they don't have the balls.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had the same problem. Now I wash them after use with warm water and a toothbrush. Let them dry thoroughly. If needed, blow dry them a bit. The problem is now gone and the reels are well used.

Shooter
    35mm
    Like others, I've cured "sticky balls" with a soaking in warm water. I also agree with Roger that Jobo reels without the bearings are faster to load compared to Paterson reels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only plastic I use is the Jobo for color and never have had problems. I always remove the film and seesaw it in a bowl of Photo-Flo before hanging up. For B&W, usually use SS, still remove film for the Photo-Flo. Never have problems.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    this only happens to me when the reels are not completely dry.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ezwriter View Post
    Thanks! never heard the pencil trick. Will try that. Also will put the reels in the dishwasher . I bought several steel reels but could
    never get the hang of them. Buying Patterson reels now. Last order from Adorama sent the 'skinny' starting flanges tho, i like the
    THICK big flanges so maybe they changed the style. (You can't tell in the pic online)
    Was using a metal dental hook to move the balls before loading, works good but some stick so thnk its hard water (in SoCal). ez
    All of the Patterson reels have the skinny flanges. It is only some versions of the AP (also badged under house brand names) reels that have the wider flanges which I also prefer.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin