Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,720   Online: 823

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pushing FP4 in ID-11?

Turns out that I currently have a surplus of both Ilford FP4+ and ID-11 (someone I know had too much of both, etc etc). Just for the fun of it, I'm going to try to see how far I can push FP4 and develop it in ID-11. I'm aware that this combination is not ideal; I'd normally use HP5 or Delta 3200 with DD-X, but this is just an experiment.

Ilford's documentation doesn't cover pushing FP4 past ISO 200 (with ID-11 that is), nor does the Massive Dev Chart. I'm thinking of starting with ISO 800 developed for about 20 minutes with stock ID-11. Is this a good starting point? Or is this just a complete waste of time?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No it's not a waste of time, even if you don't get a workable picture you'll learn something about the combo.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By all means, try it, even if this is a 3-stop push with a film that will easily build contrast if you ask it to. I'd rather push in 1+1 ID-11, than stock.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aron View Post
    I'd rather push in 1+1 ID-11, than stock.
    Why is that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cluttered View Post
    Why is that?
    Grain will look slightly sharper and most importantly, because of using a developer diluted will increase the developing time, so your shadows will have a slightly better chance of gaining some density.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One nice thing about pushing is undiluted ID-11 is a less amount of development time. Dilute 1:1 and your development time is going to get ridiculously long. To be honest I don't think you're going to like FP4 pushed to 800. I'm very familiar with this combo (120) and I've had pretty good luck pushing to 200 when the light is flat but no more than that. This film is definitely not made to push! If you really need to push it to 800 you'd be better off using DDX to try and get every last bit of shadow detail out of it, or shoot a 400 speed film pushed to 800 in ID-11.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aron View Post
    Grain will look slightly sharper and most importantly, because of using a developer diluted will increase the developing time, so your shadows will have a slightly better chance of gaining some density.
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the info!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    If you really need to push it to 800 you'd be better off using DDX to try and get every last bit of shadow detail out of it, or shoot a 400 speed film pushed to 800 in ID-11.
    I do have DD-X as well, but that is quite expensive, and I've recently been given a few bottles of ID-11, more than I know what to do with. And I have way more FP4 than I know what to do with, so I thought I'd just have some fun with the combination. But I do appreciate your info.

I plan to do some proper tests this weekend; eg exposing for ISO 800, try a few rolls, eg 1 roll for 20 minutes ID-11 stock, another roll for 30 (!!!) minutes in ID-11 1:1, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ID-11 is not the best choice for pushing film. A better choice would be a developer containing Phenidone or Dimezone. These two developing agents do produce an increase in speed.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would also recommend less agitation (30 seconds every 3 or 5 minutes) - the hope is less grain and better shadow development since the highlights develop quickly and use up the available developer whereas the shadows continue to slowly build up - that's the theory at least. The more dilute the developer, the more time between agitation (5 minutes for 1+3 and 3 minutes for stock) as it needs to soak and be given time to act; too much agitation will worsen lack of shadow density and lead to more contrast. This reduced agitation might also prevent some of the more extreme contrast from taking over but I wouldn't count on it.

I would expect a lot of grain and little shadow detail but if nothing else, you will have a better understanding of developers and their effect on films.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin