Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,648   Posts: 1,481,284   Online: 730

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Drying fibre papers with heat?

I know putting fibre prints through one of those roller dryers used for RC is not advised but is there any issues drying fibre papers with hot air, such as a hair dryer? Obviously there is a lot of curl but that doesn't bother me.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do it all the time but for test prints only. For one, the curling is severe. For two, the dryer basically sprays the wet print with dust.... For three, the print does not dry completely, so air dry time is still necessary.

You didn't ask this but trying to dry FB in hot press doesn't work either. Because the print is wet, it picks up texture from boards and release paper. These marks will never go away even if you re-wet it and dry it right.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I ran recommend the following method for further testing: Let the FB print air dry for about 1 hour, then put it between bedsheets and gently use a flat iron at the lowest degree of heat. The print mustn´t come in direct contact with the flat iron of course! Do not press it for too long, otherwise it will curl.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I dry test prints and strips in a RC print dryer. Even when I'm printing 20x24 my tests are small enough to fit in the dryer. It dries very quickly this way and I can them move on to the next print. However, I found that FB (MGIV) prints that dry with hot air are not the same color as those left to air dry. All my finished prints are air dried on fiberglass screens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The way I dry my fiber prints is at room temperature. If you heat dry them, you'll spend time flattening them. They'll curl really bad.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a 15 page sticky thread on FB prints at the top of this forum. I recommend you read that when you get a chance. it's about drying and keeping them flat and there is a lot of things in there worth trying out.
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    St. Ansel dried them in the microwave.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Way back in the dark ages at the beginning of analog photography, hot roller dryers were used to dry FB prints in all photofinishing shops. Home heated dryers were available at most all photo stores.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sort of

Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    St. Ansel dried them in the microwave.
    I'm sure a lot of Ansel Adam print collectors will be horrified he dried his final prints in the microwave. He used the microwave for test prints checking for dry down.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I was there

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Way back in the dark ages at the beginning of analog photography, hot roller dryers were used to dry FB prints in all photofinishing shops. Home heated dryers were available at most all photo stores.

PE
    I remember my first college photo class. The lab had a huge ferrotyping print dryer. If you wanted glossy, you put them face up. Put them face down for matt. Not too many of those machines survived. The smell I remembered was like ironing clothes from the canvas belt that wrapped around that polished chrome drum.
    Aaron Chang

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin