Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,979   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Adox MQ developer: where and when ?

With the years, I learned to appreciate a lot this developer which I discovered in a marginal mention by Crawley quoted (with a misprint) in Anchell & Troop's Cookbook.

However, I never saw its formula or history quoted in any printed source.
    Since Adox (C. Schleussner Fotowerke) disapeared in 1963, I suppose it was formulated before, but when ?
    Does anyone knows something about the place and date of conception and where the formula was first published ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is the missprint?

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't remember a misprint, it's not in the Darkroom Cookbook.

Adox Borax MQ is a developer we used commercially in the 1980's I used to supply it to a couple of other photographers along with replenisher. It's a slightly better developer than D76, finer grain, better sharpness and also better tonality along with no drop in box speed.

In the past it was in the articles section here on APUG but a lot of data was lost in a forum upgrade

Adox Borax MQ

Metol 2g
    Sodium Sulphite (anhyd) 80g
    Hdroquinone 4g
    Borax 4g
    Potassium Bromide 0.5g
    Water to 1 litre

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting that the formula in that thread is a cut & paste of my posting the formula elsewhere

Ian

This is what Crawley said about Adox MQ Borax in BJP Dec 16 1960,the earliest reference to it I have found:
    "The concentration of sodium sulphite is 20 grammes lower than in D.76,which reduces the amount of physical development and improves sharpness.The sheen referred to earlier in D.76 appears to be caused by the nature of borax alkalinity (in a sensitive carbonate chemical developer the introduction of borax in a concentration of 0.1 grammes per litre will produce a slight sheen).The addition of potassium bromide to a borax developer will remove this sheen virtually entirely,for it appears to prevent discontinuities usually caused by borax alkalinity.The buffering of Borax with added boric acid does not seem to improve definition,although the borax sheen is reduced and sharpness improved.Adox MQ Borax has times slightly longer than D.76,contrast rising more slowly."

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    It's a small (analog) world, Ian...
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I don't remember a misprint, it's not in the Darkroom Cookbook.
    Anchell & Troop, Cookbook, 1998, p. 44 (quoting Crawley): "... Adox (....) formula, which is as follow: metol 1 gram (...)"

In fact, the correct formula (you give it bellow) is metol: 2 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Metol 2g
    Sodium Sulphite (anhyd) 80g
    Hdroquinone 4g
    Borax 4g
    Potassium Bromide 0.5g
    Water to 1 litre

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
    This is what Crawley said about Adox MQ Borax in BJP Dec 16 1960,the earliest reference to it I have found:
    "The concentration of sodium sulphite is 20 grammes lower than in D.76,which reduces the amount of physical development and improves sharpness.The sheen referred to earlier in D.76 appears to be caused by the nature of borax alkalinity (in a sensitive carbonate chemical developer the introduction of borax in a concentration of 0.1 grammes per litre will produce a slight sheen).The addition of potassium bromide to a borax developer will remove this sheen virtually entirely,for it appears to prevent discontinuities usually caused by borax alkalinity.The buffering of Borax with added boric acid does not seem to improve definition,although the borax sheen is reduced and sharpness improved.Adox MQ Borax has times slightly longer than D.76, contrast rising more slowly."
    Other companies used lower Sodium Sulphite concentrations with similar increases in sharpness, Agfa 44 (Agfa Ansco/Gaf 17) is one example. Ilford ID-68 (Microphen) another both having 80g/l Sulphite Dupont used 75g/l in T ND-2 another MQ Borax fine grain developer.

Fotokemia FR-2 is in fact Adox Borax MQ.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The optimal concentration of sodium sulfite for halide solvency is around 70 g/l. Concentrations lower AND HIGHER than this value exhibit less solvency. So the Adox formula seems better in this respect than D-76.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin