Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,918   Online: 1015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D-76 Problem?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jgwetworth View Post
    It doesn't seem milky anywhere
    S*A*F*E*T*Y fILM....Well, is it about 30 years since that was labeled on the rebate? How fresh is the film you used?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagic View Post
    S*A*F*E*T*Y fILM....Well, is it about 30 years since that was labeled on the rebate? How fresh is the film you used?
    My film doesn't expire for 4 years :P And thanks all, Fixed for 10 minutes and a pre-wash made it almost impossible to see but I think i'm just going to start using T-Max dev exclusively just seems to make my negatives come out nicer.
    Minolta X-700, Nikon FM3A, Mamiya RB67 PRO-S

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It doesn't look like there is anything wrong with your film.... Rebate and deep shadow are perfectly clear. Highlight as seen on right side is perfectly dense. It kind of look as if it's a little underexposed but not badly. Some of that blue/purple tint will come out if you wash it for really long time, like an hour. D76 is a perfectly good developer. Other than potential scanning issues, I have no idea now, what's going on.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgwetworth View Post
    My film doesn't expire for 4 years :P And thanks all, Fixed for 10 minutes and a pre-wash made it almost impossible to see but I think i'm just going to start using T-Max dev exclusively just seems to make my negatives come out nicer.
    By all means stick to the T-Max if you like it - it's meant to be decent stuff. But seriously don't discard D76 on the basis of this test because it hasn't shown any failing of D76 whatsoever. That negative is fine but your scan is broken.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	351fvnki.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	57948

PS if you want the cheapness of D76 with a bit more speed and resolution, try Xtol.
    Last edited by polyglot; 10-01-2012 at 06:54 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Attachment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The purple tint is nothing to worry about. The proof is always in the pudding, however. D76 is a great film developer, and can be made to work well with any film, same as TMax can. There are differences between them, but nowhere near as large as your initial post shows, where I think the scan got messed up somehow.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    I use D76 as my main developer, it can develop almost any film to great standards. Give D76 another chance, it is a standard around many other developers are based and is a very old formula, and cheap. I won't ever ditch D76 as a primary developer, I do sometimes use others but D76 is the main.

Ilford ID11 is virtually identical to D76. Tmax is a very dense film usually that many scanners need their exposure upping to get a good scan, at least in my experience, I usually print and have noticed very few problems with Tmax. Your negs look fine

Do wash film well, at least 10 minutes with running water, it is crucial! Under washing can damage negatives over time, sometimes within a year.
    Jacob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin