Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,373   Online: 1075

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    To make one of those "stepped exposures" on the paper, you need to guess at the correct time so the steps straddle that guessed time. I don't waste my time on that "stepped exposure" anyway because the premise of evaluating different exposures on different parts of the image does not make sense to me.
    This, a thousand times this. I don't get how people try to judge exposure by looking at different exposures on different parts of an image. Much better (though it takes a little longer to make the exposures) to make a bunch of test tiles - they each cover the same critical area of the print (e.g. a highlight or face or whatever) and each gets a single exposure of the appropriate length in the test-sequence.

(apologies for the thread-hijack hoffy)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This is an issue we see constantly in the class darkroom. An exposure in 5-2sec increments is different from a 10 sec exposure. I warn the students, but the lure of a single push of the "print" button is sooooo tempting!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don´t use the "stepped exposure" method. Instead, I expose the same part of the image several times on the test stripe, using different exposures. (eg. 5, 10, 20, 40 sec). I use a sheet of cardboard with a rectangular hole about 1x3" cut in the middle for this. This allows me a better comparison of the result (on the same part of the image) and eliminates the issue with the lamp warm up time. The test stripes are always 100% like the final result with MG IV. With fibre paper however, there is still the dry down effect...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it is ad vi sable to expose the test strip exactly like the final print, even including dodging and burning steps to make it reflect the actual process.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin