Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,466   Online: 967

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For 35mm I vote for FP4, I develop it WD2D+ and DD-X, both work really nice.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I would try cutting the PanF ISO in half as well rather than rated, I would be interested in your observations of what the negative physically looks like.
    It seems to me that when you use lower ISO films with Pyro the edge effect seems more pronounced and when looking at the neg on a light table you actually see concentric rings
    around the edges, much like a map.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Thanks, I'll have to try a comparison of FP4+ @ 50 with PanF+ @ 50 (which I'm not terribly enamored of) in 120. I shoot the sheet () @ 100.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Jeff - I have been using FP4+ and Pyrocat HD exclusively for several years and I can attest that it is a fine combination. I tested this film/developer combination and I rate Fp4+ at 160 with Pyrocat HD. Feeling that I made a mistake, I retested and came to the same rating. Sandy King (the one who developed Pyrocat HD) will tell you it gives enhanced film speed. Bob Carnie printed one of my negs of some train wheels from this combination at a workshop at Steve Shermans 2 years ago and can attest to the quality that this combo can produce. Do test it for yourself and I think you will like it.
    Tim

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I will attest that it was an amazing negative. I was surprised actually as it was in a workshop and I was able to get to a decent print very fast.. which I attributed at the time to a lovely negative.

Quote Originally Posted by climbabout View Post
    Jeff - I have been using FP4+ and Pyrocat HD exclusively for several years and I can attest that it is a fine combination. I tested this film/developer combination and I rate Fp4+ at 160 with Pyrocat HD. Feeling that I made a mistake, I retested and came to the same rating. Sandy King (the one who developed Pyrocat HD) will tell you it gives enhanced film speed. Bob Carnie printed one of my negs of some train wheels from this combination at a workshop at Steve Shermans 2 years ago and can attest to the quality that this combo can produce. Do test it for yourself and I think you will like it.
    Tim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I tested this film/developer combination and I rate Fp4+ at 160 with Pyrocat HD. Feeling that I made a mistake, I retested and came to the same rating.
    Tim
    If I could get 160 out of it then FP4 would be a no brainer! I'm getting 200 in HP5 now.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

After using Tri-X 320 sheet film for decades, mostly for 4x5, I'm slowly shifting to FP4+. First of all, I can get it in whole-plate size, so both of my big cameras can use the same film. Second, I find that the slower emulsion makes little difference in my typical shooting situations. Third, echoing Thomas B's comments, it is very close in tonality to Tri-X.

I rate it at about 64 or 80 in Pyrocat HD, mostly because I like a lot of shadow detail. It works very well in expanded development, and I find that when using Pyrocat HD, my need to contract development more than N-1 is not necessary. (I can use divided development or semi-stand development to achieve my minus-development goals.)

I've not tried HP5+ in many years. My go-to fast film has been Tri-X 400 or T-Max 400, usually in 120 format. (I use MF when the weather is too lousy for LF, and those dark, windy, cloudy days call for more speed.) I do not care for Delta 400. Given Kodak's instability, I probably need to try some HP5+, which is available for all the formats I use.

If one film would work for all purposes, we'd have only one film. Shooting style and conditions, format, and *gasp* personal preferences call for a variety of films. It makes a little more work for us, the consumers, but at least we have a choice.

Peter Gomena

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tested this film/developer combination and I rate Fp4+ at 160 with Pyrocat HD. Feeling that I made a mistake, I retested and came to the same rating. Sandy King (the one who developed Pyrocat HD) will tell you it gives enhanced film speed.
    FP4+ with Pyrocat HD at greater than film box speed? Interesting. That seems strangely consistent with my own limited findings when working briefly with Acros 100 and Pyrocat HD. Shot at slightly under rated speed (100) using recommended dilutions and normal agitation, the negatives were unfailingly thin (though not "unprintable"), with little shadow detail and enhanced grain – not what I was looking for. I didn't actually test the film speed myself prior to shooting, relying on published recommendations, but found no particular reason at that time to change from PMK Pyro and Rodinal and slower speed films. With good slow speed (25 – 50) 120 films increasingly hard to find, I'll definitely have to take another look at Pyrocat and non-tabular 100 speed films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With staining developers it tends to vary by film. I've not used Pyrocat, but with Pyro, in PMK, and particularly in WD2D+, FP4 seems to "work" much better than Delta 100 for example when it comes to film speed. The conventional wisdom is that non-tabular films stain better. Difficult to say for sure (and FP4, HP5 etc are not entirely non-tabular anyway). But depending on the staining developer, there are definitely films that produce more speed (or lose less speed) than others. To continue with my example, in WD2D FP4 ended up being a full stop faster than Delta 100 in my testing.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 10-02-2012 at 12:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    in WD2D FP4 ended up being a full stop faster than Delta 100 in my testing.
    Survey says FP4 in WD2D was EI ______ ?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Survey says FP4 in WD2D was EI ______ ?
    ~64. But I don't do 1/3 stops so 50 works for me. I've seen higher ratings, but of course it depends on personal preferences - and densitometry with stained negatives is not straight forward.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 10-02-2012 at 03:35 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin