Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,245   Online: 730

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

looking for an extremely malleable and responsive paper--a master violin to play

I'm looking for an extremely malleable paper to get married with for a while. While in school we all used Ilford MG type papers with Sprint developer because it took out almost all of the chemisty variables. It was really hard to screw up. No matter what you did you got a neutral print. I'm pretty sure the paper was designed to be minimally responsive to variations, even toning. Now I'm ready to dig into all of the variables I can--toning, bleaching, home brew developers, under/over exposure, solution physical development, lith printing (particularly important to me), etc.

Having spent time with a rock solid stable paper, now I want to find the most malleable papers I can so that all of my darkroom work, good and bad, will show through. It's sort of like graduating from a student violin to a master violin--the master violin will let you hear exactly how good or bad you are while the student violin will be enough that you'll can sound alright but never great, but it'll also hide some mistakes for you.

I'd love both warm and cold paper recommendations. I'm partial to warmtone and I'm going to try Forte Fortezo and/or Polywarmtone, but I'm also going to try the coldtone stuff from Oriental. I hear rumors that some exotic papers might be more malleable and responsive.

So everyone, what are the master violins of the printing world? What's your master violin?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It might be good to note that there is a time and place for everything. You don't always want a malleable paper that will shift if you look at it cross-eyed. Sometimes (oftentimes?) a bit of stability is the path to a successful image.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Maco Expo RF graded.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    david, general thoughts about this paper? never heard of it, but am always on the lookout for something new to play with; neutral or cold?

Images
    I don't know if this is right for you, but I tested a dozen different papers looking for the right one. It was amazing how different they were and how the same they were. The one that really stood out was Bergger VC CB. My two bits.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    I don't know if this is right for you, but I tested a dozen different papers looking for the right one. It was amazing how different they were and how the same they were. The one that really stood out was Bergger VC CB. My two bits.
    Thanks Gravel. What stood out about the Bergger?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    Also--what did you notice that was consistent from paper to paper? Good comments, I'm just curious for more detail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    david, general thoughts about this paper? never heard of it, but am always on the lookout for something new to play with; neutral or cold?
    Ann, from what I've read this paper is neutral to warm tone. I haven't tried it yet either, but am also anxious to try it.
    -Grant
    Last edited by VoidoidRamone; 12-17-2004 at 10:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Maco Expo RF is a neutral toned paper that holds shadow detail better than any other enlarging paper I've tried. It claims to have a higher gold chloride content than any other paper, and I've read (I think Steve Anchell says this) that it is one of the few soft emulsion papers left that will respond in interesting ways to amidol, autotoning developers, and such. I do soup it in amidol (Michael Smith's formula for enlarging papers), and it really responds beautifully and it tones nicely in selenium.

It was marketed in the US by Cachet, but I believe they are no longer the importer for it. You can get it from Freestyle.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Maco Expo RF is a neutral toned paper that holds shadow detail better than any other enlarging paper I've tried. It claims to have a higher gold chloride content than any other paper, and I've read (I think Steve Anchell says this) that it is one of the few soft emulsion papers left that will respond in interesting ways to amidol, autotoning developers, and such. I do soup it in amidol (Michael Smith's formula for enlarging papers), and it really responds beautifully and it tones nicely in selenium.

It was marketed in the US by Cachet, but I believe they are no longer the importer for it. You can get it from Freestyle.
    I just finished a Box of the Cachet RF paper and I must say I did not notice any quality difference between it and the Forte Fortezo paper I use. I bought it because I had heard that stated before. Yes it is good paper - not noticably better than Ilford Galery or Forte Fortezo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin