Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,724   Online: 813

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the grain sometimes, it can add something beyond 'I need a fast film to catpure that'. Taken with Kodak T-Max P3200.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img130.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Freestyle has this film on clearance for $12.99/roll. Ilford's 3200 in $8.00+ at regular price. No wonder sales were poor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TMZ was brought into the market too late really. It came out just as newspapers were switching en masse to color printing, going over to high speed color negative films. I had hoped at the time that we would soon see it in 120 but they never made the jump. I'm glad Ilford did. Hate to see anything get dropped these days but I do know other ways to get nice grain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    P3200 is Genuine.
    No other film gives me bite and mood as well as this film. Geez!
    Finally! TMZ is used by many, not for its high speed, but BECAUSE of its grain, sharpness, and incredible tonality.

If anybody that uses it says 'it looks just like old Tri-X' then I am not surprised. Because to me it does too. It is possibly my favorite film, and one that I'm not able to afford anyway, unfortunately, due to its high price, but it's sad to lose it nonetheless. Beautiful film, in every way.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Freestyle has this film on clearance for $12.99/roll. Ilford's 3200 in $8.00+ at regular price. No wonder sales were poor.
    Freestyle has started a net tactic of raising the prices of outgoing products. $12.99 is what they charge today. Just last week they charged $9.99. Scalping, if you ask me. See what happened to the Efke films? They got their prices raised too as the factory announced its closing too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Damn Freestyle if you must, but it's called supply and demand. It may not be fair, but if they can make an extra buck, they're going to do it.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Damn Freestyle if you must, but it's called supply and demand. It may not be fair, but if they can make an extra buck, they're going to do it.

Jim B.
    Freestyle concerns itself a lot with having an image of being a company committed to darkroom photography, and I can't fault them for that. I applaud their efforts. But already at $9.99 they were two dollars (and change) more expensive than the least expensive I could find online. At $12.99 they are robbing the people who enjoy the film and want to stock up one last time. That leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak discontinues T-MAX P3200 Film (TMZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Freestyle concerns itself a lot with having an image of being a company committed to darkroom photography, and I can't fault them for that. I applaud their efforts. But already at $9.99 they were two dollars (and change) more expensive than the least expensive I could find online. At $12.99 they are robbing the people who enjoy the film and want to stock up one last time. That leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.
    Me too. Another reason I mostly bypass them and use B&H.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    ...At $12.99 they are robbing the people who enjoy the film and want to stock up one last time. That leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.
    So don't buy it there. No need for a bitter taste, just buy from B&H at $7.19/roll. How can you beat that?

Steve

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    B&H is absolutely the worst for gouging when a film gets discontinued. You should have seen what they did with Tech Pan sheet film. But back to the film question itself - rating TMY400 at 800 and
    "pushing" it merely means you lop off a Zone in the shadows and block it up some. Same with HP5,
    or even in my opinion, Delta 3200 shot at 1600 (I shoot it at 800 and get wonderful results). For
    journalistic purposes you can break all kinds of rules with film. I once handheld a night shot six seconds and got it pubished - but I sure wouldn't print it to hang it on the wall!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin