Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,717   Posts: 1,669,919   Online: 1049

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: +/- Development

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I tested Bergger 200 this last summer, and with Xtol 1+1, Jobo 3010, 20C, I got a CI of 0.59 at 5 minutes and 0.86 at 20 minutes. With PMK at 24C, I got 0.45 at 5 minutes and 0.72 at 20 minutes using the blue channel.
    Last edited by Kirk Keyes; 12-21-2004 at 12:32 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    I tested Bergger 200 this last summer, and with Xtol 1+1, Jobo 3010, 20C, I got a CI of 0.59 at 5 minutes and 0.86 at 20 minutes. With PMK at 24C, I got 0.45 at 5 minutes and 0.72 at 20 minutes.
    With Pyrocat+ 5:3:1:100 you can get a CI of about .95 with BPF 200 (Blue analysis) wth 16 minutes of development. But for AZO #2, which needs a negative DR of about 1.65 or higher, the CI of .95 only gets you down to an SBR of 6, or N + 0.5.

You can not get more CI out of the film than about .95, regardless of what developer you use, assuming Blue analysis. For alternative processes the outlook is much better, as a CI of up to about 1.1 is possible with BPF 200 by UV analysis, this because of the strong actinic nature of the stain.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you want to try a plus development - give Acros a try. I set up the Jobo with some and Xtol 1:1 at 20C and just let it go for 1hr 20 min - the CI was 1.34 (vis or blue). The fog was a little high at 0.30 though... The highest density on the sheet was 4.50.

Kirk - www.keyesphoto.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If I am reading this correctly then I am doing the right things. I know I will be trying AZO 3 with Amidol. I purposefully chose Bergger 200 with its relative low contrast and PMK (Wish I had fully read about HD before making that choice). I rarely shoot high contrast situations here in the south unless I am shooting shadow and sky.

I did my first film tests yesterday and witnessed first hand how long it takes to develop BFP 200 in PMK. There was little difference in a 10 and 12 minute development but at 15minutes I saw some contrast and tonal changes and higher density. This is good news for me as I am not always consistent when using time/temp methods and can be a tad sloppy. I originally thought these times would seem like forever, but juggling 3 tubes and monitoring times and temps of the additional trays keeps a beginner like me fairly busy.

Tube trick. Since it takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute to move film from holders to presoak to the tubes, plan a LIFO method for multiple times. Last in the developer is first out. Since I knew my times would be 10, 12, and 15 for my test I noted the time each tube went in the water, then removed the last tube in when 10 minutes had passed. this shortens the overall time.
    Eric
    www.esearing.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by KenM
    I would like to add that you need to consider what the final print is going to look like before you make any determination on film development. Automatically altering development to fit the range of your film is formula photography, and has no part in expressive photography.

Now, if you decide that the print would have a spread of 7 zones, then yes, you would expand development. But don't just N+1 something to 'fit' the film. Do it because the final product calls for it.

Remember, you're in control of your materials, not the other way around.
    Of course!!! the ZS is just technique! Don't forget what the zone system's inventor said about previsualisation! The ZS is a helpful tool to reach your creative goal, providing you with a fully controllable instrument. In other words: it makes it possible do understand what you're doing, thus giving you full control over the result, whatever the result you want to achieve may be.
    Jan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin