Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,716   Online: 789

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The only time I've seen anything like that is if there is an overconcentration of Photo-Flo. But I doubt this has anything to do with it.
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

NER

Images
    No, that is not the culprit here. The pattern is evident in the unprocessed film right out of the box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks remarkably like faulty anti-halation coating on the rear of the negative.

Some manufacturers have used a strong green coating. Efke 5"x4" PL50 which I've just started using has a layer of coating on the back of the film that actually dissolves during processing.

If you can tell us the manufacturer then that might help pin point the problem, also how old is the film and how has it been stored.

NER

Images
    The film is not old - its expiration date is in 2007. I do not think the anti-halation coat can be at fault here because the pattern remains in the processed negative. I'm not sure what the cause is. It may be something in my processing, although I don't think so because the pattern is seen on the unprocessed film, I haven't seen this or any similar pattern on any other unprocessed film I have ever inspected, and because the materials and procedures I used on these occasions are the same that I've used for years with other films and I never seen this problem occur with those other films after processing. Nevertheless, I hold open that possibility for now. I do not want to name the film or manufacturer at this time because doing so might unfairly discredit one or both. I have written to them and I have received some preliminary responses, but the holidays now intervene, so I do not expect a final answer from them until January.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin